James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Seattle Saturdays: a place called Pike...

This morning I woke up to the sound of seagulls, looked out my window and saw that beautiful Sound, remembered where I was and promptly determined this would be among the best Saturdays of my existence.

And then I realized it was only 6 a.m.
Time changes -- no matter how small -- wreak havoc on my sleep patterns.

The moment Lola woke up, she ran to the window to watch the ferry boats.
I'm not exaggerating when I say her excitement level rivaled that of Christmas morning (or any time she sees a bag of fruit snacks).


 Lola wanted to make sure Winnie got a good look at the boats too.
By the look of things, though, it's more likely Winnie was mooning the boats instead.

Poor Winnie was placed in time out about four seconds after this photo was taken because she allegedly hit Lola.
Ironically, Lola had just been released from time out about four seconds before this photo was taken for hitting me.
Huh.

We headed up to the roof (which is quickly becoming my favorite place in the world) to wish Seattle a good morning before venturing onto her streets.

 We made a quick stop in our lobby, where Lola met her chair soulmate and I discovered the perfect couch.


Pike Place Market was our destination.
The walk took us through our neighborhood (Queen Anne) and into Belltown.
Can't think of a better place to spend a blue-skied Saturday.


 My kids were endlessly entertained by the crowds, the fish, the food, the smells, the free samples.
We watched cheese in the making, gorged on giant cookies and enjoyed some of the finest people-watching this country has to offer.

Believe me when I say we'll be making this a weekly trek.


 I took Lola to see the famous pig, but she wasn't so sure about the thing.
"It's NOT real, mama. Right? RIGHT???"


I cannot get enough of the rows and rows and rows of beautiful flowers.
It's been a dream of mine (ever since watching "You've Got Mail" for the first time) to purchase freshly-cut flowers wrapped in paper from a street vendor. 


Today, that dream was finally realized (thanks to Cyndi).


These little beauties are the perfect addition to our apartment -- which now officially feels like home.
I plan to make this a weekly tradition during our time as Seattleites.
Because every dining room table deserves fresh flowers.

Lola took her job as flower keeper quite seriously, despite the fact the bouquet was bigger than she is.


I really love this place.


As we left the market, we ran into a street performer who was armed with a turbo bubble machine.
We watched Lola fight an intense internal battle -- bubble love vs. strange man terror.


 Extra! Extra!
Guess what will be opening in our neighborhood (hopefully before we leave, but considering our track record with these kinds of things, it's doubtful).


We spent the better part of the afternoon in a toy store near the market before popping into the Lucky Diner for lunch.


Successful outing, indeed.

2 comments:

Alysha and Jason said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I love it. We are SO excited for next weekend!

Jo said...

I'm so jealous. It pains me! Literal pain! Can I come sleep on your couch? I'll even change a few diapers.