James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Resolved...

I've never really been one to make New Year's resolutions -- likely because I'm not awesome at long-term follow through.

But this year, I feel compelled to set one realistic goal for myself.
Not so much a resolution as a self-improvement project, I suppose.

I've been the recipient of countless acts of kindness in my nearly 27 years of life.
Kindness exhibited by coworkers, friends, family, strangers, pets, caffeinated beverages -- you name it.

That kindness has come in many forms...
an email
a text message
a phone call
a baby gift
a thank you card
a birthday wish
an opened door
a smile
a beautiful print
a free ice cream cone
a ride
a warning instead of a speeding ticket
a free place to stay
a meal
a back rub
a babysitting session

These acts of kindness -- be they simple or grandiose -- have made me feel loved.
They've made me feel special.
They've made me feel needed.
And, most importantly, they've helped me feel less alone -- particularly at times in my life when loneliness abounded.

 The sad thing is, I haven't been much of a giver of such kindness.
I often forget to write that thank you note, to send those flowers, to let that person know they are important.

And that is just not okay.

So this year, I want to reciprocate.

I want, I need, to be more thoughtful.

I want to be a better friend.
I want to be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, granddaughter, niece, etc.

I want to become a more thoughtful person.
To take the time required to return those many kindnesses that have both pulled me through the tough stuff and helped me feel the most content.

This is one resolution I feel very compelled to keep.

The other?
Make sure my babies never once doubt how much I love them...


Thanks for the beautiful photos Mark!
www.mlwphotos.com

2 comments:

Alysha and Jason said...

You've been a very thoughtful person to me. I remember in Jr High you wrote a note and dropped it off at the office for me when I didn't make the dance company. :) I love you!

AJ and Cindy said...

I think you are one of the most thoughtful caring people I know. I have several "thank you" and "thinking of you" notes saved from you that always bring me to tears b\c of your kind words. love you lots !