James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Thursday, October 6, 2011

28 candles...

My husband turned 28 today.

In years past, I was able to craft elaborate celebrations filled with gifts, calories and surprises, but this year was a little different.

Apparently Reece chose to be born 28 years before the week that would become the busiest of his life.

My birthday boy left the house around 6 a.m. and spent his day preparing for internship interviews, finishing projects and studying for a killer finance midterm.
I didn't even get the chance to belt out my famous, out-of-tune rendition of "Happy Birthday" since he was basically occupied with dumb grown-up stuff all day long.

He works so hard, and we love him so much.
If I had that much to do on my birthday (or during my birthday week, for that matter), I would throw an apocalyptic tantrum.

But that's one of the key differences between Reece and I -- I'm crazy selfish, he's insanely selfless.

We were able to steal him away for an hour this evening.
We braved the freezing rain (the mountains are WHITE and I am freaking out) for dinner at one of our favorites, Terra Mia.

Lola helped Reece eat his birthday cupcakes.
To be more accurate, she skipped the cake part and licked off the frosting.


 Thanks to the people of Terra Mia for not arresting us when we lit a match under their table.


 The restaurant's general manager must have smelled the smoke from the candle, because he came over and offered Reece some complimentary birthday gelato.
 
We heart Terra Mia.


 The hour we got to spend with our guy was wonderful.
Reece is so much more than I deserve, and I'm so grateful I tricked him into being mine.

Happy birthday to my love.
I adore you more than ever, even though you're practically an old man.

2 comments:

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

I'll bet Lo was in heaven. :) Happy bday Reece!

Sarah Larsen said...

Ahh I know the feeling - poor Patrick had a pretty identical birthday last week. Poor guys, but you are totally right, they are much more mature than we are! So glad they are the ones in school, not us! Xo