James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, August 29, 2011

Seeing double...

Being the mother of two children is an adventure.

Some things about the job are exhausting.
Some nights one is up every odd hour wanting to eat and the other one is up every even hour begging to watch Tangled.
Some days I start feeding the little one at the exact moment the big one trips and falls down the stairs.
Some afternoons both babies decide to simultaneously fill the house with yells, just to see how mama will react.

Some things about the job are hilarious.
Like when the big one reminds me to feed the little one "on both sides."
Or when the big one buries the little one in her stuffed animals and tells me she's sharing.
And when the big one fills her diaper and straight up tries to blame the little one.

Some things about the job are difficult.
Like trying to make sure both of my babies feel equally loved when I'm the only one around.
Or when the big one hits the little one and I have to explain to her why she's in trouble.
And when the husband is gone and both babies are sick and all I want to do is cry.

But then some things about the job -- most things, actually -- are just plain fantastic.


 Like watching my big one ask to give the little one a kiss the moment she wakes up and every night before she goes to bed.
Or listening to my big one instruct me to "be careful" when I'm changing the little one's diaper.
And when my big one lays next to my little one and tells him he is sweet and cute and tiny and darling and then smothers him with hugs that don't stop until he starts to scream and I have to intervene.
Or seeing my little one burst into a smile so big his whole body squirms with joy when my big one talks to him.


To me, the best thing about being a mother of two is watching the babies I love more than anything grow to love each other.

1 comments:

Alysha and Jason said...

You are such a talented writer. And you make beautiful babies. I wish I could be just like you.