James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Feasts of the Fourth...

I love the Fourth of July.
What could be better than corn on the cob, barbecue and watermelon mixed with family and friends?

Not much, I tell you.

In preparation for the double barbecue extravaganza that awaited us later in the evening, Lola and I ventured out into the heat and walked to the gas station for a "special dwink."

Lola has loathed her stroller since she turned one, but upon seeing James sitting in it, she decided it was time to take back what's rightfully hers.
I'm not complaining because it means I can go for walks again.


We put on our patriotic attire and made our way to Mapleton for the annual Banks Family 4th of July party.
This shindig is nothing short of epic.

Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and candy -- all Lola needs to achieve ultimate happiness.


 Next up: the Rogers family barbecue.
I'd like to say that I paced myself with the food consumption, but that would be a lie.
I ate enough for four people.
So much for my quest to drop those pregnancy pounds.


 As luck would have it, Utah changed it's firework laws this year -- allowing our neighbors to put on a first-class show right in our cul de sac.  
Reece and Lola sat on the porch to watch (our daughter is now obsessed with fireworks - great) while James and I opted for the quiet of the living room couch.


 Our attempt at a family picture turned out to be an epic fail.
James peed through his red, white and blue outfit and Lola launched an open rebellion against the camera (and her parents).

Ah, parenthood.


 And now for the cheesy monologue:

Sure, barbecues and watermelon are great, but I hope be able to instill in my children a sincere love and appreciation for this country and the many freedoms we enjoy as citizens.

I'm extremely grateful for the countless people, past and present, willing to sacrifice their very lives for America.

I feel pretty lucky to be able to call myself an American.


God bless America.

3 comments:

Brent and Anne said...

How fun! Look at you guys and your cute family of 4! love it.

Shannon said...

You are my hero--you have a newborn and a toddler and actually leave the house! I doubt I will be here soon ;)

ps, once baby girl comes, I'm thinking she and James need a little photo shoot together at my place. Yes?

Unknown said...

Yay :) James in the striped onesie!