James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

At first sight...

Though I thoroughly enjoyed the time I had to get to know my new kid in the hospital, I was extremely anxious to see my old kid, or rather, my first kid.

I just missed her.

But in true Lola fashion, she came down with a nasty fever the day James was born.
Thus, the meeting of the siblings had to wait.

Luckily the fever subsided by the next day, and she came marching into the hospital with Nana Cyndi and Kellan, ready to conquer the unknown.

She came into my room, pointed at James' bed and said, "baby sleeping."
Then she crawled into my lap for a good cuddle.

But then Reece brought said baby over to me.
I'd like to say it was love at first sight, but I think suspicious would be the more appropriate term to describe Lola's reaction to her new brother.

Maybe even borderline indifference, as evidenced by her sudden interest in the buttons on my bed.


After a few moments (and a lot of coaxing), she decided to acknowledge his existence.


 And then she was done.
It took a cherry Popsicle, followed by a toothbrush, to calm her down.
She watched Reece bathe James, and found solace in the glass window that separated her from this tiny invader.


Once the bath was over, all remnants of the Popsicle were wiped from her face and hands and the baby was back in his bed, Lola seemed a bit more at ease.
In fact, we even got a smile out of her once she realized she had two more feet to tickle.


The queen left her mark on our temporary kingdom before heading back to Nana's house.


I found myself staring at those scribbles more than once during the next 24 hours.
Because Miss Lola has a way of making herself difficult to be without.

Things took a sour turn when Reece strapped her into her car seat and she realized he would not be joining her in the car.
Of course I sobbed when Reece described the scene to me later, because my biggest fear from the beginning has been that Lola will feel like we replaced her or that we've betrayed her in some way by having another kid.

Thank heavens for a wonderful Nana who wiped away my girl's tears and helped her feel very loved, despite her crummy, abandoning parents.

2 comments:

Esplins said...

Oh my word... just make me cry why don't you?! What a sweet post! I'm anxious to see what it will be like when we have baby #2 someday. Thanks for giving me a glimpse into those mama emotions!

AJ and Cindy said...

I love those pics of Lola and James, so sweet! I can't wait for those moments, too!