James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Friday, February 25, 2011

Seattle shenanigans: part six...

Our plans to visit Victoria fell through (I'm still devastated but made Reece promise to take me back someday -- perhaps on an Alaskan cruise?), but we were set on doing some kind of day trip.
So Monday morning we got up early and drove our little rental Subaru onto a ferry headed to Bainbridge Island.


 I certainly wouldn't mind a commute like this every morning.

We got off the boat, stopped at McDonalds for the second time (I'm telling you, those breakfasts!) and headed toward Port Angeles.

When we arrived at what we thought would be a beautiful, quaint port town, we found something more akin to the armpit of Washington.
Maybe it's a happening place to visit in the summer, but in February, it's just plain depressing.
We felt the joy drain slowly from our souls with each moment we spent within the city limits.
And no, I'm not exaggerating.
Here are AJ and Reece, searching for something to do that didn't involve the Dairy Queen...


 Though Cindy and I felt like crying, it was much easier to laugh instead.
So we made the most of it.


 We wandered into the Visitors' Center, where an ancient, yet very sweet little lady accosted us with about 400 brochures.
I get the impression she hadn't had many visitors in the past few months... or years.

The highlight of our tour was stumbling across the following gems.
Apparently we were in Twilight country -- much to Reece and AJ's delight.


 After no more than 25 minutes, we dove back in the car and headed toward Olympic National Park in an attempt to once again find happiness in the world.

We were not disappointed.
It was absolutely gorgeous.


 We drove up to Lake Crescent, which was well worth the 30-minute car ride.
Although I sorely regretted drowning my Port Angeles sorrows by eating an entire bag of BBQ kettle chips.
But that's another story for another time.


 But the day was not over yet.
Oh no.

The remainder of the tale is coming soon...

I promise we are almost done with the Seattle posts.
Pinky swear.









2 comments:

AJ and Cindy said...

I LOVED this post, I couldn't stop giggling as I remembered everything and thought about our time in PA...we were so excited about it, to!

That was definitely one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Can I tell you enough how much I miss our trip? I loved it. Lets plan that Alaskan Cruise!

AJ and Cindy said...

oops, I mean't *too up there...that is going to bother me....