James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Officially a Mrs...

Well, I've finally gone and done it.

And it only took me three and a half years, one and a half babies, two moves, two graduations, three cars and seven jobs to take the plunge.

After 26 years as a Rogers, I legally became an Ivins this week.

I think Reece was more excited, proud and fulfilled when he pulled out my new "Ivins" drivers license than he was the day we got married. 

Three and a half years ago.

I repeat the length of time for dramatic effect.

I have to admit, it was a bittersweet process.
I had some good times as Jessica Maria Rogers.

I took my first steps.
Uttered my first words.
Experienced my first kiss (which was gross, by the way).
Lived abroad.
Made it into the audience at the Rosie O'Donnell Show (remember when she used to be nice?).
Went to college.
Dyed my hair Ronald McDonald red.
Fell in love for the first time.
Told people my grandfather was Mr. Rogers, of the neighborhood fame.
Learned to speak Italian.
Met Michael Phelps at an AT&T store.
Crashed my parents' car and lied to them about it, then learned years later that they knew I had lied all along.

I got my first grown-up job as a Rogers.
I met and married my husband as a Rogers.
I gave birth to my first child as a Rogers.
I got locked out of my apartment wearing a bathrobe as a Rogers.

And though I was sad to say goodbye to the name I was more than proud to bear for so many years, I am equally thrilled to see what life as Jessica Maria Ivins will be like.

Well, after I get through the headache of calling the credit card company, the insurance company, my OB, my HR department and about a million other places...  Sigh.

Are you seeing why I chose to put it off for so long?


But I must admit, it's nice to share a last name with my kid.
Plus, Reece is kind of hot.
Aside from maybe Clooney, there's no other last name I'd rather take on.

1 comments:

steph said...

I'm trying to figure out how you went this long without changing it ... boggles my mind. But congrats on taking the big step. Do you feel different, like when you turned 21 or something?

Can't wait for Thursday morning. But I bet you can't wait even more! AAAHH!