James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bargain, baby...

I resisted buying maternity clothes throughout the duration of my pregnancy with Lola, entranced by the stereotype that so often surrounds them.

Because let's face it.
When you wander into a maternity store and see those horrifying "belly pockets," it's enough to make even the strongest of heart turn on a heel and run.

As a result, I stretched out nearly every shirt I owned and lived in gaucho pants for the better part of my last trimester.

This pregnancy has been different in so many ways, perhaps the most significant being the rate at which my bump has expanded each week.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is comfortable anymore, with the exception of my very stretchy yoga pants.

Seeing as how I'm a mere eighteen and a half weeks along, things can only get tighter and more awkward from here.

So I decided to give in and wandered into the maternity section at Old Navy.
I took it a step further and actually tried on the clothes, something I was much too afraid to do the first time around.

But from the moment I walked into that dressing room and pulled on my first pair of maternity skinny jeans (oxymoron?), I was a changed woman.
This changed woman was even more converted when she looked at the price tags on these miraculous articles, and nearly went into labor when she discovered all clearance items were an additional 40 percent off.

In short, I stocked up like it's the apocalypse tomorrow.


I kid you not (because I never, ever kid about sales), I brought home five pairs of pants and a dress for under $30.
I will never go back to normal pants again.
Well, probably someday, hopefully (replied Reece when I uttered the above comment).

8 comments:

Marissa Waddell said...

Old Navy does have the best maternity stuff! Not like I know what I'm talking about. But (more than once) I've been tempted to stock up for the future!

todd and erin said...

I have a love/hate relationship with maternity clothes. I hate how the pants fall down all the time, but they are so comfortable! Old Navy is the bomb.com. Way to score there! Another thing I found I love is a pair of skinny jeans with an elastic waistband at Forever 21 for $8.50! I LOVE them and I think I'll wear them after I have the baby too. They are cute. Too bad I've hit the point where wearing pants period is uncomfortable and if I had no shame I'd walk around with no pants on at all. :) (TMI???)

Kim said...

Way to go, Jess!

Unknown said...

I am really scared of maternity pants. I use Victoria's Secret yoga pants for now at work. When you wear a long shirt with them, they look like work pants!! But way to go on the amazing finds at Old Navy! Maybe I should stock up now?

steph said...

I realized I hadn't said anything for a while. So let me congratulate you on getting a new wardrobe! You deserve to look as cute from the neck down as you are from the neck up. And comfortable, too.

Abby said...

Oh...I remember that moment. Can't believe you made it all the way through your first pregnancy without maternity pants! I was so far out there I NEEDED that panel. And the funny thing about maternity clothes, I think, is that they actually make you look SMALLER. Novel!

Cindy said...

FYI Forever 21 now has a maternity line and they sell it in the store at 106 S.

AJ and Cindy said...

I am so glad I convinced you that maternity pants, well some at least, are the way to go! I am so proud of your deals, too!