James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dorothy...

My baby has come a long way from last year's lobster fiasco.
And by "a long way," I mean this year she knows how to fight back.

So in brainstorming for Halloween costumes, I decided it would probably be a good idea to try to remedy the trauma inflicted when we put her in a pot.

Enter Dorothy.

Blue plaid dress? Check.
Red shoes? Check.
Mullet perfectly conducive to pigtails and ribbons? Check.
Little black dog? Checkity-check.
Comfortable enough to trick her into thinking she wasn't dressed up? Checkity-check-check-check.

Who knew Halloween could be so easy?


Since it was pouring rain, Reece was dying of the stomach flu and I was feeling lazy, my family and I took Lola to University Mall for her first trick-or-treating experience.

And oh, what an experience it was.

First of all, Lola was exhausted and not feeling great.
Good thing she had papa, who served as her "Jazzy" for the day.
But she was such a trooper.
I think she was fascinated by the sea of little monsters, witches, Disney characters, animals and such. 
And once she figured out the result of a simple "trick or treat," she really started to perk up.


Mall candy has come a long way since I was a kid.
No more gross chocolate coins.
Now, you get the good stuff.


I'm not exaggerating when I say I laughed for a good 15 minutes when my eyes happened upon the following sign.  I need to get one of them for my house.


The funniest part was trying to convince those handing out the candy that we really did, in fact, have a trick-or-treater with us.
I suppose that happens when you have six adults rifling through each treat bowl in search of the perfect loot for a 15-month-old.


Despite the massive crowd, stifling heat and lingering aroma of bad body odor mixed with Bath & Body Works, our mall trick-or-treat was a huge success.
We realized the true brilliance of this decision later in the evening, when at the sound of the doorbell, Lola scrambled under the reading chair in terror.

Apparently she doesn't like THAT kind of trick or treating.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Brilliant costume! I've gotta remember that next year. I keep getting Ellie costumes with hats, and apparently she does NOT appreciate things on her head.

AJ and Cindy said...

Lola looks so cute as Dorothy, I love her piggy tails. I am glad you guys had a fun time, too bad about Reece being sick, though :( PS you look soooo skinny in your pictures! :)

Kari McCallon said...

Good thing she had the "Halloween Monster" to help her get her candy. (Is that what we called him?)

Megan said...

Jessica! This is Megan from your freshman year. Okay weird - I'm trying to sell my sister's contract at Glenwood and when I type in "glenwood apartments provo" into google images, guess what is the second picture to pop up? You, Rochelle, and Lindsey! And it took me to your great blog. I've had so much fun looking at it. And you're such a great writer by the way. You guys are in Salt Lake? We're still in Provo. I've got a little guy, 13 months old (was I pregnant or even married when I bumped into you outside of the ASB?). I told Jared the story of our moms recognizing each other as we were moving into the dorms. Such a small world. Love your pictures, love your writing, love your blog, love you! Oh, and I also love your clothes. Really, where do you go shopping? You're adorable. Let me know if you want an invite to our blog - we're private because I'm paranoid. :) My e-mail's map.merrill@gmail.com

The Lancaster's said...

Jessica, this is so random and I promise I am not some creepy internet lurker. I grew up with Cindy and I keep seeing all these pictures on her blog of her and what it seems like is her best friend. You both have baby girls and your relationship I am very envious of. I mean lets get real, who wouldn't want a friend like Cindy? So one day i looked at your blog and realized that I know your husband! He was my bank teller at Mountain America in Logan and there were numerous times where we would talk about our relationships with our significant others. I got engaged and when I went in to the bank he had told me that he was about to propose to you and drew me a picture of your ring. Small world! So I know Cindy and Reece and I would love to know you because you are just adorable and oh so witty. Oh and I want an invite to your blog when you go private because reading your posts remind me of why I also love being a mom :)