James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green Introduction...

I've always been a fan of St. Patrick's Day.  I am Irish, after all.  That, and green happens to be my favorite color.

But this year is even more fantastic because I get to introduce my daughter to the hoopla. And since I am such an attentive, thoughtful mother, I made sure to deck her out in green in order to protect her from the pain of an unwanted pinching.


Saint Patrick himself secured a gorgeous day for the celebration, so we hit the pavement and walked one of our favorite routes.  We made a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up the necessities for our St. Patty's Day feast.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get in and out of the grocery store with just a few items, so I ended up struggling to pull a baby, a stroller and 4 very full bags all the way home.

After much deliberation, I decided on a brinner theme.  You know, breakfast for dinner.  Classic, easy and ever so delightful.

Or so I thought.

First on the menu, green hash browns.  Or at least that was my intention.  Unfortunately they somehow became more like fried mashed potatoes.  The food coloring didn't exactly take evenly, only adding to their awkwardness.


Next up, green eggs.  Classic Dr. Suess.  Good in theory, disgusting in appearance.


I gave up on trying to turn the french toast green for fear Reece would suspect mold.  He is terribly paranoid about that kind of thing.  He was seriously sketched out by the green milk I placed before him. I believe his exact word was "gross."  I even heard him mutter under his breath, "may as well have added cottage cheese for the chunk factor."


Despite the meal's unappealing facade, it actually tasted quite good.  Even Lola gave her relative stamp of approval.  Either that or she really liked the taste of syrup.


I would be a failure if I didn't make sure Lola didn't get a green meal too.  Pickles and peas?  Yes please.


I can't wait until Lola is old enough for the leprechauns to leave little presents for her around the house. Funny thing is, the leprechauns stopped leaving me presents when I moved out.  Huh.


Happy St. Patricks Day!

4 comments:

AJ and Cindy said...

I am sad we missed out on walking today--it was gorgeous! I had to laugh when you said you left with four bags full, totally something I would do! I usually bring Lyla in her stroller when I run into the store (b\c it's easier than lugging her car seat in I suppose) but then I forget that I have to actually carry all my groceries out!

anyways, looks like you had a fun green dinner! See you soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy green day!! I wish the Leprechaun still visited me...funny how that works.

Abby said...

Soo cute. I can't wait to do this kind of stuff with my kids! And yes, I remember the leprechauns leaving stuff wrapped in tin foil all over the house for me to find.

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

"A pickle a pickle chicken"