James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Friday, November 20, 2009

And The Grammy Goes To...

I like making up songs. Always have, probably always will.

The people around me (mainly Reece), however, struggle to find the beauty in my compositions.

It's odd, though. My husband's aversion to my creativity has only ever made me want to create more.

And then, our daughter was born. I dare you not to make up songs once you become a parent. More specifically, once you become a mother. It's built into our makeup. Try as we might, we must open our mouths and sing.

I've learned that everything about a baby inspires music. Seriously, you can (and if you are anything like me, you probably will) make up songs about anything the kid does. Smiling, sleeping, eating, staring, cooing, talking, pooping, drooling -- all of these things, when set to a catchy tune, become artforms.

Here are some of my personal creations:

The Diaper Song.

Let's go change your diapes.
Let's go change your diapes.
Let's go change your diapes.
Let's go change your diapes.
It's time to change your diapes.
It's time to change your diapes.
Let's go change your diapes.
Let's go change your diapes.

The great thing about this song is that you can make up new verses depending on what stage of the diaper change you happen to be in.

For example:

We are changing your diapes.

Or,

We just changed your diapes.

For some odd reason, Reece always wants to rip his hair out whenever we smell something coming from Lola's nether regions. I think he knows by now that where there's a full diaper, there are at least 4 versus of the Diapes Song.

Another one of my pieces goes something like this:

This is my baby.
Her name is Lola.
And I love her.
Because she's cute.

Inspiring? I think so.

Then there's the Lola Maria song. (Sung to the tune of Baby Baluga)

Lo-la Ma-ri-a
Lo-la Ma-ri-a
Is the water warm?
And is your Mama home?
Lo-la Ma-ri-a.

So there you have it. A taste of my musical genius, free of charge.

If you haven't already discovered the joys of songwriting, I would highly recommend that you take the plunge.

Lola sure is grateful that I did.

3 comments:

Jordan Ormond said...

HA! That's great. Here's my Grammy submission from when Lily was younger. The performance usually came as I was getting ready for work:

"Here we go, let's iron mom's pants, iron mom's pants, iron mom's pants.
Here we go, let's iron mom's pants so she can go to work!"

Dumb, but she liked it. Anything for a smile, right?

AJ and Cindy said...

You are so funny! I am glad we are friends :)

Cindy said...

I love singing even though I don't sing well. I used to make up my own songs all of the time but I haven't in years. I am less creative than you. I try to sing songs that are on the radio but I don't know the words so I just make them up because I want to sing along.