James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, August 10, 2009

'Twas the Night Before...

Tomorrow night at this exact time, I will be at the hospital delivering my first child.

I can't get over the fact that my life is about to change forever.

I remember laying in my bed the night before I moved away to college. I didn't sleep much. I felt so terrified, but so excited at the same time. I remember looking at my bare walls and knowing that my sense of "home" was about to be permanently altered. Life was never going to be the same.

Similar thoughts appeared the night before I hopped on a plane to Italy for a study abroad. I didn't sleep much. Instead, I considered the adventure I was about to embark on. Would I really be able to speak the language? Could I survive on my own in a foreign country? How would I function so far away from home? Life was never going to be the same.

Then there was the night before my wedding. I didn't sleep much, but this time fear was completely replaced by an overwhelming sense of calm. I was about to become part of a new family, one that involved my best friend, who also happened to be the love of my life. Never again would I fall asleep alone. Life was never going to be the same.

Tonight I am laying in bed, watching my baby move around in my massive belly. I probably won't sleep much. I'm nervous, but incredibly happy. I know that every life-changing experience I've had up to this point likely won't compare to the one I will have over the next few days. I am going to be a mother. A mother to a beautiful little girl. A little girl who I'm sure will change me in ways I didn't know I could change.

After tonight, life is never going to be the same.

13 comments:

Brianne said...

You are absolutely right...becoming a mother does change your life. It is undescribable, the feeling of being a mother. It is truly AMAZING. Good luck with everything Jess! You will be a great mom!

Marissa Waddell said...

I am so excited for you! You're in my prayers for a glitch-free delivery!!

Kristina said...

This is such a sweet post and I'm so excited for you! I'll pray for you that everything goes well!

Kari McCallon said...

Good luck! You'll be a great mom don't you worry!

Amy said...

I love this post.
Good luck and congratulations on making it through (by the time you read this you'll probably have your baby!)

Brooke Hill said...

You are going to be a great mommy Jess!! She is going to be beautiful and wonderful and she has the best parents in the world. I cant wait to meet her!!

todd and erin said...

You are such a good writer, Jess. Good luck today and you will be a wonderful mommy!

Kate said...

So beautiful - you made me cry! Good luck. I know you'll be a wonderful mom.

Unknown said...

I love this post! You are so poetic. I love this ...Never again would I fall asleep alone. Good luck, I hope everything goes perfectly, and you have a fast labor.!. I can't wait to see her.!. :)

Kimba said...

Might I venture, this might be the BEST new change? I just found out you're not going in until tonight, so I hope today goes well for you! I just can't wait. Good luck! You'll do great, and you guys will be fantastic parents.

steph said...

I am sooooo excited for you! I hope the nurses are uber-nice to you and that you take LOTS of pictures. Take care!!

Serena said...

This brought tears to my eyes and I'm not even a mom!!! Good thing I'm not pregnant otherwise there would have been no hope for me!

Jenna said...

Aw, that was so touching! It's true. Congratulations, girl. :)