James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Light...

My post-due date appointment with the baby doctor rolled around today. That's right, the appointment every pregnant woman prays will never happen. I trudged to the front desk to check in, only to be greeted by the receptionist in this slightly irritating manner:

"Wait, what are you doing here? Haven't you delivered yet?"
"Clearly, I have not"
"Oh. That really sucks."
"Yeah."

And Employee of the Year goes to...

Anyhow, the nurse hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor to make sure all is well with little Ivins (it is). We had another ultrasound to check the placenta and the fluid levels (both good). Doctor measured my belly to make sure Baby is packing on the poundage (she grew 2 centimeters! Yeah!) Then came my favorite part, the exam.

I figured I would HAVE to be dilated to at LEAST a 2, having gone past my due date and all. Oh, and I've been cramping all week! And yesterday I felt some back pain! And I swear I had a contraction too!

Yeah, I'm still not even dilated to a centimeter yet.

Somehow I knew this would be the case, but it still hurt to hear it.

Doctor began making plans for next week's appointment without even blinking an eye. She was about to leave the room, when I literally grabbed her arm and pulled her back into the room.

"Let's talk induction."
"Well, the soonest I would even consider inducing would be the middle of next week"

Reece informed me that my eyes actually shot flames toward the doctor's face at this point.

"I'll go check my schedule, and be right back."

The power of an angry pregnant woman is unmistakable. At the very least, it gets things done.

And so, my friends, if Baby Ivins doesn't get herself out before 9 p.m. on Tuesday the 11th, my doctor is going in after her.

There really is a light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to eat my cookie dough ice cream.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I hope and pray (for your baby's sake....and for your Dr.'s sake) that she gets herself here LONG before that. :) Congrats on the light!

Kimba said...

They always do that, you know. You'd think the receptionist would know better, but they always say that.

Yeah for an induction date! :) That was all Wy needed to coax his way out. :)A date and time. He came an hour before my scheduled induction time!

Enjoy the cookie dough. You deserve it!

robocop said...

Ok, whew. That gives us at least three days before our trip. I'm glad you worked around my schedule:)

Abby said...

Where would you be without cookie dough ice cream?


I certainly don't know where I'd be, that's for dang sure.

Jessica said...

I never did dilate. That was always depressing to go through that awful exam just to have the Dr say, "You're about half a centimeter dilated", which is code for "Not at all dilated." I hope that baby girl decides to come soon for you!

Brent and Anne said...

Your post made me laugh! Keep me posted on Lola's arrival! Hopefully it's soon!