James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, April 13, 2009

My Name is Jessica...

... and I am a Diet Dr. Pepper addict.

When I found out I was pregnant (nearly three months in), I immediately poured every remnant of my drug of choice down the sink. There's nothing like a recent study linking caffeine consumption with miscarriage to get a pregnant woman to quit cold turkey.

We went to Europe, I drank water. We came home from Europe, I bought Crystal Light. Weeks went by, I grabbed everything from Diet Root Beer to Ginger Ale. Though the withdrawal headaches raged, I refused to give in. I even had myself convinced that I could stay away from the "Doctor" once the baby came. I was clean and sober.

Then I decided to drive to Arizona for a week. By myself. Away from the ever-so-watchful eyes of my ever-so-concerned husband.

One bottle won't kill me, I convinced myself. After all, I needed to stay awake during the long drive. Plus, I was on vacation. It's fine to cheat a bit while on vacation, right? And my mother-in-law relied on Coke to pull her through all four pregnancies, so it must not be THAT bad.

One can turned into two cans, which were quickly replaced by a 32 ouncer (so much cheaper), then a two-liter bottle disappeared within hours.

Are you sensing a pattern?

I tried to stop when I got back home. But unfortunately, when this girl falls off the bandwagon, she falls hard.

So, because he loves me (and because he fears for his life once the raging hormones kick in), my husband has offered up a deal.

One flat of Diet Dr. Pepper from Costco, in exchange for a promise to STOP the consumption once said flat runs out.

I'll let you know how it goes.



*And before you judge, know that my doctor gave me a safe limit for daily caffeine consumption, and I take care not to exceed that limit. I promise I'm a good mother! REALLY!!!

*Also, are there any caffeine-free beverages that float your boat? I need something more than just WATER!!!

16 comments:

Kristina said...

I really like Sobe Lean cranberry flavor. It's quite tasty.
Good luck! I know all about quitting (or trying) caffeine beverages for health reasons... sigh...

Kimba said...

Oh yes, I know this well. I let myself have Diet Coke on the weekends, only. Then it transferred to one a weekday...and it all went downhill from there. (Safe limits! Woo!)But then I had him, and the LAST THING ON THIS EARTH I needed was a hyped up infant. So. I've had two since he was born, both in the beginning and none since. Do I miss it? OUI. But I am squelching my urges with Diet A&W, Diet Cherry 7-Up, Peach flavored Fresca (isn't labeled Diet, but has no calories!) and Ginger Ale. I have to have something blubbly to drink...as much as I love water, it gets boring.

Oh, and we always have Propel in the house.

Good luck! :)

Muncher Cruncher said...

oooh girl, i don't know how you do it {sip of my ddp} you're stronger than i...

Abby said...

I too, am a DP addict. But not Diet DP. Crap tastes like river water.

Anyway, I always say all things in moderation. That way, you can still have some, but you can control how much of it you have.

Unknown said...

never been big into pop. but sobe drinks are AMAZING. and ginger ale. hot chocolate is nice in the mornings-and usually has the same effect on my system as if i had taken a dr. pepper. who knows.

Cindy said...

In Utah County you can find almost every beverage diet/caffeine free. You can buy 2 liters of Mt. Dew, Coke, and I THINK Dr. Pepper. The closer you get to BYU the easier it is to find. I know this because I frequently delivered caffeine free drinks to my pregnant friend in Salt Lake since they don't sell nearly as many drinks without caffeine there.

Adam and Tara said...

Abby's comment made me laugh. I can't imagine a life without caffeine... how sad is that? We all know you are and will be a great mother.. there are worse things than a Diet DP problem :)

Jessica said...

LOL, I actually STARTED drinking caffeine when I got pregnant. I'm a water girl and I rarely drank soda, but I started getting migraines with pregnancy and b/c of some meds I'm on that limited what I could take, the Dr. actually prescribed caffeinated soda! It sounds like you're careful to keep the consumption levels safe, so don't stress about it too much!

Unknown said...

Well, Diet Coke is out for you for sure. Why don't you try water with lemon or lime squeezed in it? It's almost like lemonade, minus all the sugar. It needs to be ice-cold with ice though...

Anonymous said...

Absolute Favorites-
First, Black Cherry Fresca or Peach Citrus Fresca. Both amazing and calorie free!
Second, Minute Maid Light Lemonade (easiest to find in cans). I actually like it better than the original and it has No Sugar and like 5 calories.

Jessica and Reece said...

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I just need to wait for a drink sale at Target :)

Jessica and Reece said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i feel like this is a no-brainer: caffeine-free diet dr. pepper. it exists right? remember how YOU are the one completely responsible to my soda addiction? which i have now hopefully given up...we'll see...

Michelle said...

Jessica-
I just found your blog! I laughed pretty hard when I read about your pregnancy story, cause it sounds so similar to mine:
not feeling well, trip to doctor...16 weeks pregnant? (How did that happen?!)
Now I have a little guy who won't sit still, sleeps 12 hours through the night, and loves his mom more than anyone else (well, except when dad is in the room.)
Looking back, it's made life crazy, but we loved the surprise and wouldn't have it any other way.
Congratulations! You're going to be a great mom.
Michelle (Gourley) Schow
michellegourley@gmail.com

Brent and Anne said...

I totally understand! DP is my favorite! I don't know what I would do if I had to go sans caffeine! I'm a big fan of flavored lemonades, like raspberry, strawberry, etc. So I'd probably choose those.

Jennifer said...

hahahah!! I'm trying to give up now... Just incase! Can't wait to hear how it goes!