James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Inadequate...

That's how I feel when I spend too much time reading other people's blogs.

It seems as though everyone has it together.
Everyone has brilliant style.
Everyone has a cool, grownup job.
Everyone has fabulous clothes.
Everyone rivals Martha Stewart in their creative abilities.
Everyone has a model apartment/home.
Everyone is a gourmet chef.
Everyone is bursting with creative energy.
Everyone is an interior design extraordinaire.
Everyone is traveling the world.
Everyone is living the dream.

Sometimes I find myself feeling hopelessly mundane.
I don't have much style.
I'm content with my $50 D.I. couch
I sometimes burn my husband's favorite chocolate chip cookies.
I stress about finances.
I'm really really really cheap.
And lately, I would rather stay in my robe all day than get all gussied up in designer duds.

But I love my little life, despite my tendency to compare.
And I need to be more grateful for the chance I get to live it.

13 comments:

Kimba said...

I'm with you on the robe! For sure. And uh, everything else. I hate when I compare myself to others, but it seems impossible not to. It's like...built in. Another "perk" of being a girl, I suppose.

That said, you're one of my "everyone's".

todd and erin said...

Oh my gosh--I was just thinking about this! I was thinking about all I have to do and wondering how everyone else seemed to do it all and do it all perfectly. I guess none of us want to post about the tough times in life, huh? Thanks for making me feel more normal!

aubrie said...

Trust me, Jess. We all look at you and think that you're pretty much perfect and have a fantastic life, too. I think everyone else's lives seem so much more exciting, just because it's different from our own.

Adam and Tara said...

I second Kim's comment... you're one of my "everyone's" too. Lady, you have a grown up job- associate producer AND you get to use that degree you worked so hard for (except that finals week when we lived off no-dose). You're fantastic and enjoy arizona!!

Liv said...

I am a complete stranger, but found you through Kim and Abby. May I just tell you that I feel inadequate compared to YOU? You're having a baby, and that is fantastic.

I'm not, so I feel not-so-fantastic.

It's just all about perspective, and remembering to appreciate what you have, like you said at the end of this post.

Amy said...

You must have been reading my blog about constantly puking and stuffing my face with fast food....that's bound to make any girl jealous..... :)

Amen to everyone else, you are the essence of my "everyone": living downtown, dream career, fantastic husband, baby on the way, trips to Italy, hitting up great sales and little boutique's....life always looks prettier from the outside.

Ashley and Mikkel said...

holy cow are you kidding!! you have a fabulous life! i am so jealous of all the fun you have! didn't you just go to Italy??? and yes i do have a house but that means a high mortgage and no extra money for extra trips to the ice cream shop.

Kristina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristina said...

Well, you're definitely not talking *about me seeing as how absolutely none of those apply in my life. But I know exactly how you feel!

ECR said...

See I knew having you live with us would ruin you for life... trust me know one can keep up with your Auntie Kimmy.

Unknown said...

i think we are all in the same boat. what is it with us mormon girls and comparing ourselves to everyone else all the time? i think you're great.

Emily said...

I think we're all guilty of comparing, it stinks, I try my best not to do it, because then I feel like a loser. I love your hoensty. I love your humor and I love your blog. I think it's fab. :)

Mrs. Gibbons said...

Have you ever seen my blog? I do not believe I fit any of the things you listed. But I do believe that I fit about the same description that you wrote about yourself. I knew we were friends for a reason. :)