James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Defining Moments...

Today, I met the woman who will deliver my baby.

But not before spending exactly one hour and 17 minutes in the waiting room... while the medical assistants searched for my elusive chart.

And not before I stepped on the scale, and found myself four pounds lighter than last week (likely due to the nausea, that STILL has yet to leave me alone), and heard the assistant say "We'll just say you stayed the same as last week, because doctors hate weight loss."

Excuse me. RECORD THAT WEIGHT LOSS MISSY!!! I wanted to steal my missing chart and change the number myself.

And not before I read an article that informed me feta cheese increases your risk of delivering a stillborn. Yeah, I ate a Greek salad last night. Panic. Tears. Immense stress.

FINALLY... my doctor opened the door to my tiny cell of a room... reassured me that I had NOT, in fact, killed my baby by eating a bite of lettuce with a tiny piece of feta cheese, and asked me to lift up my shirt so she could listen to my kid's heartbeat.

And did I mention, Reece and I got to hear it too? Loud, strong and ridiculously fast.

"There's definitely a baby in there!," doctor exclaimed.

Definitely a moment (and a sound) that I will never, ever, ever forget.

3 comments:

Alexis said...

Matt and I do pretty awesome impressions of that little heartbeat. Seriously, ask us to do it. It'll be like you're listening to that little baby all over again. Also, faster heartbeats mean GIRL!

Kim said...

I can't even imagine what an amazing experience that is. You'll be great parents.

Kristin said...

Wow, how exciting! That nurse is too funny. I would feel the same way!