James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One Year and a Few Days Ago...

Ok, so I know this was the theme of the "Zoo Day" post, but I feel that the actual engagement story was overshadowed by the elephants and albino alligators (naturally, I mean, how do you compete with an albino alligator?). Also, my brain is fried from a LONG day at KSL, so I am not feeling particularly creative or witty tonight.


Prior to meeting my husband, I had set IN STONE the following rules for myself, punishable by death (or, equally horrific, being forced to sit through one of those horrible Star Wars Episode whatever movies):

1) No kissing on the first date: never really was good at this one. More of a guideline than a code. Reece kissed me the day after we met.

2) The "L" word = profanity: for whatever reason, those 3 little words always scared the bejeebers out of my commitment-shy little self. We dropped the bomb after 3 weeks. And I wasn't even freaked out! At this point, I knew things were about to get crazy.

3) Absolutely NO talk of marriage before at least 12 solid months of dating: it took 4 weeks, and I had a ring on my finger 2 months later.

Clearly, there was something in the water.

Anyway, Reece will attest to the fact that I am quite possibly the LEAST patient person in the universe, so after we knew we were going to get hitched, I expected a proposal in the near future.

Didn't really work out that way. Apparently, my husband likes to use my impatience against me.

After many, many weekends of high hopes turning to dashed dreams...I still didn't have a ring. Ever heard of the term "engaged to be engaged"? Well, if you haven't you are lucky, and if you have, you probably hate it as much as I did. But I have to admit, Reece made up for it (and then some) with an unforgettable proposal.

We played tennis in the morning. Well, he played, I made a fool of myself. He took me tanning (I was always complaining about the winter whiteout). We even met up with my parents at Caputo's (where he sneakily informed my dad about the forthcoming proposal, to which my father enthusiastically replied: "Phew! We thought she was going to kill you!") He took me to Ruth's for dinner. We went on what seemed like a 5 mile hike...I was wearing flip flops. He proposed in ITALIAN on a big cliff overlooking the Salt Lake valley (at sunset, of course), and I FINALLY got to put that beautiful bling on my left finger.

Hard to believe it has been a whole year! Marriage is better than I ever thought it could be, and I am so happy that I broke all of my "rules" and took that huge leap with my best friend.



6 comments:

Kristina said...

He proposed in italian? Che bello! Yep, being married IS the best. And I remember that you lived in NY--we ran into each other at the library last year when we were both engaged. Did I ever tell you I almost got the same wedding dress as you? Ended up not, but it was a very close second. We have good taste!

Kristina said...

I meant, che bella. Oi. One semester out of italian and I'm super rusty.

Lindsay Marie said...

Jessica,

Do you even remember me? haha. I love reading your blog... I check it all the time. Anyway, I thought I would just comment... since I have been a faithful reader for a while now (whew... glad that is out in the open now...heh)

Anyway, congrats on getting married, graduating, etc. You seem so happy and are such a cute couple. I am glad that you are actually using your Comms degree, too... I haven't quite made it that far. Best of luck with everything!

aubrie said...

So cute! It's fun to hear the whole story behind the engagement.

becca said...

FINE. just because of your facebook status, i'll comment. jk. i like this story, i hadn't heard it before.

Kirk said...

Jess: Wow you are like all growed up.. lol. Hey did you hear about the reunion coming up? Are you going? Right now Kirk and I are living in Lindon and will be for maybe another year then who knows what? Did you ever ask your husband if he remembered my husband at all? Well I miss you and I think that we should get together... The End......P.S I think your story is very cute.. Good job Reece