James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Nothing in Life is Free...

A few weeks ago, a girl came into my store looking for some professional clothing for work. Being the chatterbug that I am, I asked about her job and we ended up talking for quite awhile. She happened to work for Wyndham Vacations, a timeshare company, and when I was ringing her up, she offered me a free trip to Anaheim, CA. The catch: I would have to sit through an "hour long" presentation.

Reece and I are no strangers to timeshare presentations. When we got off the plane in Puerto Vallarta on our honeymoon, we were bombarded by the timeshare brigade, offering us free cabs, free food, free tours, free EVERYTHING if we would just sit through a two hour presentation. We like free stuff, so we agreed. Luckily, our timeshare salesman was a big surfer, and apparently the waves were too wicked to pass up, so he let us go after the free breakfast:



We were very pleased with the results...we got to glide through the jungle on zip lines:



Also free, a snorkel "cruise"...



featuring a "gourmet" meal. Check out this little number:



And no, in case you are wondering, I did NOT eat that stuff...I fed the fish instead.

Back to the Anaheim offer. All I heard was "free vacation", and before I knew it I had handed over my name and phone number. I went home and told Reece, expecting great praise and gratitude for winning a free trip with my glowing personality...alas, all I got was a raised eyebrow and an eye roll. "NOTHING in life is free Jessica," he replied.

Nonetheless, I was determined to get this free trip. I need a break from the cold and the monotony of Utah. It was for this precise reason that I dragged my husband to the presentation today, promising him refreshments.

THREE HOURS LATER we walked out of that place feeling like brain dead zombies. They would not take no for an answer. Look people, we are both students, getting ready to apply for grad school, paying ridiculous rent in Salt Lake City. It is NOT going to happen.

We will be going to Anaheim, but believe me, we paid DEARLY for it.

NOTHING in life is free, take my word for it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man, we did the exact same presentation - they would NOT stop. AND the "free vacation" has some rediculously strict scheduling requirements and is almost impossible to use. Ughh. Good luck!

Kirk said...

That is such a funny blog... An hour...2 hours....3 hours....Sorry you sat through that but a free trip yay. By the way did you sign up for a time share?