James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, February 25, 2008

Immigration...and mimes?

I have been at KSL Channel 5 in Salt Lake City since the beginning of January, and I am learning fast that life in the newsroom is never boring. Today, for example, I tagged along with a photographer to cover the Senate immigration debate at the state Capitol (the bill passed, 24-5, in case you were wondering). More interesting than the bill passage itself, was the silent protest before the debate began. What is a silent protest, you may ask? I'll enlighten you. The demonstrators channeled a mime-like creepiness (oh, and I just happen to be terrified of mimes). No talking, no movement... just strange costumes and scribbled phrases of protest on masking tape, carefully arranged over various parts of their bodies. Anyway, it was my first time on the Hill during the legislative session, and it was a memorable experience. I am not sure I agree with the bill, but it was interesting to get an inside look at how laws are made.

Sidenote: If you haven't been to the newly refurbished Capitol yet, I highly recommend that you make the trip. It is a GORGEOUS building, and somehow, just being inside makes you feel important.

2 comments:

Mark Weinberg said...

Great Blog!!

becca said...

i just wrote on your facebook wall, now i'm also writing on your blog so you can know that i'm going to continue reading it in the future, and so you can click on my name to find mine too.