James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, December 15, 2012

New York before the storm: part one...

To travel is to expect the unexpected, to be prepared for whatever the universe has in store, to throw caution to the wind and embrace the unknown.

At least that's what I kept telling myself when Superstorm Sandy held me hostage on the East Coast for ten days.
Not that I'm complaining, because the trip was actually quite perfect, because/in spite of all the hurricane hiccups.

Let's start at the very beginning, shall we?
My sisters in law and I decided to be irresponsible and spontaneous and booked ourselves a weekend in New York City.

It was a much-needed break on my end.
I love being a mama, but sometimes a girl needs to get away for a few days (or ten).

Di, Christen and I hopped the red eye out of Salt Lake and arrived in the city first thing in the morning.
I was hoping I'd get some sleep on the plane since I didn't have a baby on my lap, but no such luck.

We took a bus to Grand Central and suddenly the sleepless haze wore off and my heart nearly exploded.
Ah, I love this city.


We dropped our bags at our hotel and headed straight to Norma's for breakfast.
We were told it would be a splurge (it was), but the food was out-of-this-world incredible and totally worth my children's college tuition.

I still dream of that omelet...


 We walked south, stopping at the Sephora in Times Square to touch up our exhausted faces.


 I had to stop at Eataly, because I just had to.
And by the time we reached the flatiron district, it was time to eat again.
Good thing Shake Shack is conveniently located across the street in Madison Square Park.


 We stopped back at our hotel and allowed ourselves a 20-minute nap before hitting the pavement once again.

We made a pit stop at Rockefeller Center to watch the ice skaters while simultaneously searching for Liz Lemon and Kenneth Parcel.


Then it was on to the MoMA for an evening of culture and crowds.
The museum was free that night, so the place was shoulder-to-shoulder packed.


We ended our first night in the city with a Jersey Boys Broadway date.


A great start to what would soon become a crazy trip.

0 comments: