James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Friday, July 20, 2012

A nautical celebration of five...

Five years ago today, we dun got hitched.

Which is crazy, because five years seems like such a short period of time, but so much has happened in those five years that in some ways we feel like we've been married foooooooooorrreeeeevvveeerrrr.

In a good way.

We decided to go big this year and booked a sunset sail on the Puget Sound.
Seemed appropriate for an anniversary spent in Seattle.

My current obsession with sailboats may have played a major role in the making of this celebration...

 Commence photo overload.


 The weather could not have been more perfect for a night at sea (or sound, in our case).
Adding to the magic was the fact that we found ourselves smack dab in the middle of the weekly sailboat race we religiously watch from our window every Thursday.

Let me assure you, the view from the water is by far superior.


And since we were in a rush to get the kids to the sitter and get home from work all while battling the infamous Seattle traffic, the only thing I thought to throw in my purse was a bag of Trader Joe's cookies and his and her Diet Dr. Pepper.

But let's face it, when you're on a sailboat, Cheetos become as romantic as oysters.


 Reece let me have the last cookie, which in my book means he loves me a lot.


 We sailed for two and a half hours.
It was perfect.
Really, really perfect.

For the first time in a very long time, Reece and I just held hands and existed -- free from distraction, noise, stress and chaos.
But then that's what my husband has always been for me -- a constant source of calm and peace.
Heaven knows I need that in my life.
Everyone does.

Want to know what else I need in my life?
A sailboat.


 I'm lucky to have Reece.
He's a good egg, right to the core.

The past five years have been wonderful and surprising and hilarious and unexpected and crazy and at times really hard, but there's really no one else with whom I'd rather split a bag of Trader Joe's cookies.

For our 10-year anniversary, he's promised me a sail on Lake Como.
I'm making a paper chain, just to make sure he delivers.

Happy five years to my guy.
To say I love you doesn't even begin to cover it.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This post made me teary! You guys are such a talented, fun, smart, and good looking couple. I cannot believe it's only been 5 years either! Probably because you guys have packed more into 5 years than most people do in 20.

Also, the pictures are amazing and make me long to be in Seattle with you guys!

ps, I think we need to give Mitch some hints about this Lake Como thing. I'd sure love to crash your 10 year anni trip when we have our 12 year anni. REALLY.

Caitlin said...

Jess!! These pictures are amazing and you guys are one beautiful couple. Happy Anniversary! Love you!

Amy said...

We just spent a whole week at the beach, but somehow I'm jealous of your sailing. :D Happy anniversary to all 4 of us! :D

AJ and Cindy said...

First of all, you're gorgeous! Those are amazing pictures of you guys and all the scenery. Happy Anniversary to my favorite couple. We love you guys and are anxiously waiting to see you both again! Love you!