James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree...

Lola, James and I are battling our first colds of the season -- definitely not the kind of "first" we look forward to this time of year.
My daily uniform has been sweats and James lives in footie pjs, but Lola still insists on wearing a dress.
At least one of us knows how to be classy.
 
Our routine this week has consisted of lighting the fireplace, scarfing down peppermint stick ice cream, laying on the floor under the Christmas tree and whining to anyone who is willing to listen.
OK, that's been my routine.

Both of my kids are surprisingly chipper when sick, and not even the worst case of sniffles can slow Lola down.
She was particularly miffed about yesterday's cancellation of our daily "school" time, and I didn't dare declare another teacher strike today for fear she might start coloring on the walls in protest.

 I pulled myself off the floor, walked seven steps to the kitchen for the construction paper and the candy cane tootsie pops (best Christmas candy ever) and helped Lola make and decorate her own paper tree.
The girl may hate Santa ("Guys, he's not coming to our house, right? Right???"), but she sure loves trees.


 I tried to make our activity pseudo-educational by asking her what color and shape she wanted her ornaments to be.
She specifically requested a pink kite, so in case you didn't know, the kite is now an official shape.
Move over, diamond.

When I say Lola loves Christmas trees, what I really mean is that she adores them.
Ever since the trees went up on Saturday, she has spent every waking hour moving ornaments around, adjusting lights and keeping them entertained with her very best stories.

Tonight we curled up in front of the fire -- tissue boxes in hand -- and watched the claymation version of "Rudolph," a film Lola found fascinating, yet slightly disturbing (but really, who doesn't?).

Kids bring the magic back to Christmastime.
And who doesn't need a little magic in their life?

2 comments:

jaclyn said...

I love this. And I love you

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

So sweet. You make me want to have babies. Not with you... with my husband. Anyway, I love how excited Lola gets over the trees! On Skype she ran up holding an ornament, then said, "I put this on the tree! Be right back K?!" And then ran off. That was all I could get out of her. I love you guys! So excited for CHRISTMAS!