James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Emergency...

Tonight we experienced one of those horrible, yet seemingly inevitable parental milestones that are far from awesome.

Lola had to take a trip to the emergency room.

Thankfully, it wasn't anything too serious.
She loves being "swinged" around by her arms, and this time the swinging popped her little elbow out of its socket.

I rocked my sobbing girl and tried very, very hard not to sob uncontrollably myself, and was somewhat successful until she began to stroke my cheek and asked me to kiss it better.
The fact that she refused to let me put her down and insisted on being with mama only solidified my suspicion that she was in very real pain.

I'm pretty sure the absolute most difficult thing about being a parent is watching your kid suffer and being completely unable to do anything about it.
That kind of helplessness knocks the wind out of you and makes it very difficult to breathe, let alone think rationally.

My girl returned from the ER triumphant, toting a new teddy bear, three stickers and a big smile.
Her exact words were, "Mommy, the doctor took my elbow off and now it's all better."


 She charmed the nurses, scowled at the doctor and consumed about six Dum Dums in the process.

Tonight, I'm extremely grateful for priesthood blessings, good doctors and the health and vitality of my children.
I'm hoping my girl will let me hold her for a little while longer when she wakes up.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Ohhhh that makes me so sad!!!! I frowned through the whole thing, it's true.

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

This made me cry. I'm so glad she's ok. Let's skype today ok?

AJ and Cindy said...

ER visits are always scary no matter what the reason :( That sounds awful for everyone, I am glad she is okay and that is such a trooper!

Kimba said...

so sad! glad it was a quick fix. :) once it's popped out it will always have a tendency to do that, so tell reece no more swinging!