James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sheepdogs revisited...

For us, Labor Day Weekend means sheepdogs.
Last year we made the trip to Soldier Hollow for the international Sheepdog competition and kind of fell in love, so naturally we braved the heat again for a second helping.


 Though it may not appear to be so, sheep herding is a nailbitingly intense sport filled with danger, intrigue, drama and heartbreak.
You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

Also, eating shaved ice with sweet cream while watching cute pups jump into a giant pool ain't a bad way to spend an afternoon.


 Clearly our children love family pictures.

Lola loved the petting zoo area so much that I was afraid the pigmy goats were going to file a restraining order.
Nothing says "I think you're cute" like shoving food down the animals' throats and hugging their backs for five minutes at a time.
I love my little animal lover.


 I shall call the following photo, "The Huddle"


 Lola took a particular liking to a tiny sheep that seemed quite depressed.


 Perhaps it was disturbed by the sight of it's great-aunt roasting on a spit at the Greek food booth just a few feet away.
I know I was.


Apparently it didn't bother Reece.


 Lola experienced a rather large breakthrough: she is no longer terrified of ponies.
I just hope she doesn't start asking for one.


 James wasn't feeling well and slept through most of the hullabaloo.
But the few times he opened his eyes, he looked like this:


I think he likes the smell of farm animals.


 I'd say it was another successful year with the sheepdogs.
Though Lola was a little frustrated that the sheep wouldn't come eat her Teddy Grahams, even though she yelled, "Come eat the bears, sheep!" at the top of her lungs for ten straight minutes.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I love the sheepdog competition!! Oh this makes my heart hurt. Can I hold your baby prease?

Angie said...

I love that you are so active in finding fun activities to do where you live. Who knew there was a sheepdog competition up there?! I did not. And I think it's awesome.