James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Part three: the boy arrives...

By the time we pulled up to the hospital for the second time in 24 hours, I was having a hard time talking.
The contractions were fast and strong and had moved to my back.

I waddled back to the fourth floor and once again repeated the hopeful phrase, "I think I'm having a baby," this time with a little more confidence, considering the fact I was forced to grasp the counter in an attempt to catch my breath through a contraction.

We were shown to an actual delivery room.
I tied up my gown, once again.
I put on my blue socks, once again.

I hopped into bed and curled into a ball, willing the pain to stop and cursing the nurse who was taking her dear time to get to me.
Said nurse (who was actually quite fabulous) finally arrived, skipped the fanfare and went straight for the progression check.

I silently prayed that I was at least dilated to a four, hoping that magic number would secure me a permanent spot in the bed that I probably couldn't have left if I wanted to.

"Well, you're going to have this baby in an hour or two.  You're at an eight and completely effaced, and once your water breaks, that's it.  I'll go call your doctor."

Jaw. On. Floor.

This is precisely when I determined that I adore morphine more than anything on the earth, seeing as it how it allowed me to sleep through hard labor.  Two thumbs up.

Within the next hour we checked off several of the things high on my "scary things list" (IV, epidural, ice chip diet).  Honestly, everything was infinitely less scary the second time around.  Probably something to do with knowing what to expect as opposed to plunging into the unknown.

We called our families with the news, and mine immediately hopped in the car and headed to Salt Lake.
Then came the waiting game.

Oh, and my doctor was spending the day with her daughter and would not be delivering my baby.

Nice.

The doctor who would be delivering my baby could not make it to the hospital to break my water until at least 7 p.m., which meant hanging out in that room with no food and no feeling in my legs for a looooooooong time.  But I was grateful things were under control.

James' heartbeat was strong.  I was starving, but otherwise good.

We were blessed.

 
By the time my doctor actually arrived, it was close to 7:30.  She broke my water (gross) and after about another hour of waiting, it was time to push.

I asked my mother and my two sisters to be present at the birth.
And though I may have traumatized Alysha and Kelly for life, I'm grateful that the women I love most were able to witness my son's first breath alongside me. 

Because there's nothing quite like experiencing a miracle together.

For ten months, my son grew inside me.
Became a part of me.
Gave me constant reassurance he was there.

In just four pushes, we met face to face for the first time.
And just like with Lola, I fell instantly in love with the tiny person I'd never seen before.

My sweet baby James was finally in my arms.
All 8 pounds 3.5 ounces and 21 inches of him.

And he gave me a glimpse of Heaven.


When Lola was born, she was having trouble breathing, so our doctor cut the umbilical cord and handed her immediately to the special care nurses.  I didn't get to hold my daughter until three hours after she came to us.

Though incredibly grateful that her breathing problems were resolved fairly quickly, I've always felt a bit sad that I wasn't able to hold her to my chest during her first few minutes.

James came out with a solid pair of lungs -- the ticket to immediate skin-to-skin contact.
It was so incredibly wonderful, and I really don't have the words to describe how sacred those first few minutes were, so I won't even try.


I have to take a minute to acknowledge how much we loved our nurse, Brittany, and Dr. Macy.


I'll take another minute to mention how lovely it was to have my family there to help us greet James.  He is one very loved little boy.  Every baby deserves to be adored this much.


The thing I've loved most about meeting my children is recognizing the possibility, the potential, the beauty that resides in their tiny beings.  In that first encounter, I find myself just staring -- completely unable to take my eyes off these little people with whom I've been entrusted.  Memorizing their eyes, their fingers, their noses, their lips -- every nook and cranny of their tiny bodies.



And then it hits me -- the miracle of motherhood. How blessed I am to have the ability to create, foster and sustain life.  How incomparable that power really is, and how it should be cherished and never, ever taken for granted, despite the sleep deprivation, the terrible twos, the headache of the teenage years and the piles and piles of dirty laundry that come along with it.

With that, I'm off to kiss my babies.
More to come eventually...

8 comments:

Jo said...

Who looks that pretty after they give birth?? Is that normal?? I want to hold your little baby!!

Anonymous said...

I hope that I look that amazing after having a baby! You make it look easy! Congrats Jess! I am so stoked for you and he is the most beautiful baby EVER!

Amy said...

I'm not sure if it's your beautiful writing, story, family, or the hormones, but I can't stop crying. Probably the combination is what's doing me in.

Amy said...

PS who is your "having a baby" photographer? They are MUCH better at documenting the experience than Josh was. :D

Jessica and Reece said...

Amy, you are so sweet. Also, one of the benefits of having my sisters present during the birth was the built-in photographer factor :) Can't wait for your little one to arrive!

Abby said...

Loved reading your labor and delivery posts! James is a darling little baby and I am happy for you all! Here is to sleep, sweet baby cuddles, and non painful nursing!

Megan said...

A very sweet and touching post. Thank you. I'm with Jo - who looks that good after having a baby come out of you? And four pushes?!? Seriously?
Congrats all around!

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

This was so perfect. I love hearing birth stories because your are so right in every word you said with it being the most out of this world experiance. The closest moment we will ever feel to God. Its pretty amazing. He is so perfect, beautiful and I just want to snuggle that face.
I hope all is well!

PS... Funny little thing... Dr Macy- delivered me. haha.. and a few other people in my family.