James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Babyless in Park City...

Reece and I spent a blissful, baby-free night up in Park City this week.

Though I personally never need a valid excuse for a getaway, I was able to come up with more than just a few to justify this particular trip:

01. The completion of our move.  Well, partial completion anyway.  We're still half living out of boxes.
02. My new-found freedom from the newsroom on weekends. 
03. A last chance to spend some quality one-on-one time together before we become the parents of kids.
04. We found a fantastic deal at Marriott's Mountainside -- a resort I adore.

I could go on, but I won't.
I'll just say this: it was a very, very welcome break.

We headed up Saturday afternoon and kicked off the party with a trip to the outlets -- aka Reece's personal hell.
But Reece, being the good sport he is, promised me at least one whine-free hour of shopping.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the boy kept his word (though I'm certain I owe that hour to "Words With Friends").


We met up with some good friends for pizza at Davanza's, which boasted the most impressive beer can collection I've ever seen.
Well, I guess it's the only beer can collection I've ever seen -- so I may not be the best judge.


At this point it was cold, windy and raining -- so we headed to the hotel with two cartons of ice cream and a Red Box for an evening in.


Note to self: Western Family ice cream, though inexpensive, is kind of nasty.

I love Marriott beds -- probably because they are huge and I can toss and turn as much as I want without disturbing Reece.  And those blackout blinds are a godsend.  We were able to sleep in until after 9 a.m., which for us is a huge accomplishment.

Sunday was gorgeous and we took advantage of the sunshine with a leisurely stroll up and down Main Street. 


We tracked down breakfast at the Main Street Deli and I kind of felt like I was eating at Luke's from Gilmore Girls.


We had to pay a visit to my favorite little spot -- Dolly's Bookstore.  Being the crazy cat lady that I am, I adore those book-loving kitties.


We've been so busy lately, it's almost as if we've forgotten about each other.
This little trip was a great reminder of just how much I dig my husband, and how I'd really rather hang out with him than anyone else in the world.

Except for maybe our daughter -- she's a very close second.

Can I just say, for the record, that I'm always amazed at what I get when I ask a stranger to take a picture of us?  I asked the girl to get as much of Main Street as she could, and instead, I got a closeup of an ugly car, a staring creeper and my gigantic belly.  

Nice.


We headed back a little earlier than we'd initially planned -- our naughty kid kept her grandmother up all night wanting to play.  But I'm definitely feeling more prepared to tackle the next phase of life now that I have a bit of fresh mountain air in my lungs (and a few new shirts and dresses to get me through these last few weeks of looking like an elephant).

Park City is magical, I tell you.

3 comments:

Camille Wheatley said...

What's up with Western Family ice cream? I was seriously disappointed. I felt like I needed a cleanse. But I'm glad you had such a wonderful time in Park City! I LOVE that place. We had a blast with you guys!

Marissa Waddell said...

Ohhh the cat lady bookstore. I like that place. I miss Park City. Keep the hotel reservation line on speed dial--you'll probably need a few more escapes when school starts and #2 arrives!

Unknown said...

I own that shirt from Banana that you have on...but i must admit, your prego belly looks much cuter in it than my flabby post-prego belly looks in it. You always look so adorable!