James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A date with all things Danish...

Sunday morning, Nana put Lola in her Christmas dress and whisked her away to church.


Reece and I slept in a bit.
Lola seemed determined to keep us from doing any of that each night.
While we waited for the family to return, we took a walk down to the beach.


I loathe seagulls, but love to chase them.

Later that afternoon, we hopped in the car and drove along the coast to the town of Solvang, home to all things Danish.
I only wish people had been speaking different languages, because then it really would have felt like Europe.
We wandered into bakeries, toy stores, clock shoppes -- all filled with things I wish I would have purchased.


Lola is obsessed, and I mean obsessed, with the cuckoo clock that hangs in my parents' kitchen.
She demands it sing and dance for hear repeatedly as she eats.
We had previously turned the sound off years ago because it drove us all nuts.
I've gained a new appreciating for the thing now though.

So you can only imagine her joy upon entering a store completely dedicated to the clocks she loves.


The town was certainly charming.
Instead of cabs -- horse-drawn trolleys.
And the windmills, people.
They were everywhere.


We almost purchased Lola her very own lederhosen for Halloween next year, and then we saw the price tag.


But the real whoopdeedoo of Solvang is found at the town's very own restaurant.
By the size of the line, I wondered if they were distributing tickets to a Justin Beiber concert or something.
But that wasn't the case, thank all that is holy.
Oh no.
All those people were waiting in the cold for one thing:


Yes, the aebleskivers were worth the wait.
And the extra pounds they likely contributed to my thighs.

As darkness fell and the temperature dropped, we quickened our pace for a speed tour of the rest of Solvang's offerings.
After all, we got our aebleskivers.
What more could we want?


And once again, we've reached the end.
But just for now.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh Aebleskivers. How I adore them. In face, when my Grandma passed away, the only thing I requested from her home was her Aebleskiver pan. And happy surprise, her hand-written recipe was in the box with the pan! I'm going to have to make those tonight now!

AJ and Cindy said...

what a fun little town! Everything looks so yummy, too. Looks like everything was so great for you guys :)

Valerie said...

Hey, I've been to Solvang! Such a cute little town. I don't remember the abelskiever (sp?) though...sounds like we'll have to go back. When you live in CA with us ;)