James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Sunday, August 15, 2010

You would cry too if it happened to you...

It wouldn't be a first birthday without a party, would it?
So we held a little gathering in Grandma Cyndi's beautiful garden, in honor of our Lola girl.


Since Lola (and her mama) loves all things Italian, we grilled pita pizzas.  And in my opinion, it's always more fun when you can build your own.

 
I even hired a hot chef to work the grill.

Because we are a carb-addicted bunch, we also ordered up some Pizza Factory bread twists.
I'm fairly certain I gained about 49 pounds in about three hours.


While we mingled, Lola spent some quality time with her two favorite ladies.


Lola was fairly indifferent to the whole gift-opening concept.
But I guess that's the cool thing about being a parent -- you get to do the unwrapping for them.


My favorite part of the evening: stripping my girl down to a diaper to destroy her cake.
Unfortunately the plan backfired.
Apparently fattening food is terrifying.
I knew I shouldn't have let her watch "The Biggest Loser" in her formative years.


While grandmas attempted to calm the storm, Reece busted open the pinata.  Since we figured that watching a kitty be bashed in my a baseball bad might traumatize the birthday girl to the point of hysterics, he took an alternative approach.


After stealing Auntie Kelly's pomegranate Tootsie Pop, Lola finally seemed content.


Easton, on the other hand, was not a fan of his party bag.


Overall, I would call our first first birthday party a smashing success.
But I learned a few things for the next one:

01. Don't schedule the party and the one year shots on the same day
02. Avoid neon pink frosting on any cake you hope to get your child to eat

We are so lucky to have so many people who love and support our girl.
Thanks for making her day so special.

7 comments:

mathistown said...

So so cute!! And funny/sad that she didn't embrace the cake-all-over tradition! She'll learn that cake is a girl's best friend (or so I tell myself..)

I owe you a prize, which can be chalked up to the fact that I don't see Cindy nearly enough. Maybe this week?

Jordan Ormond said...

So fun! It looks like you guys had a blast! Little girl birthday parties are the best! Just wait, the 2-year bash is even more fun because they at least understand the concept of cool new toys.

Camille Wheatley said...

Thank you, Jessica, for the most wonderful party ever! You and Reece were fabulous hosts! You've set the bar high for first birthday parties!

Kelly Danielle said...

I still am bitter about the only pomegranate sucker in the entire world being stolen right under my nose... AND I was yelled at for it! You're daughter will be reminded of this for the rest of her life.

Amy said...

That looks beautiful! All of it. Except the creepy cat pooping candy while Reece holds it by it's leg. That's not so much beautiful as freakin' hilarious. :)

AJ and Cindy said...

that close up picture of Lola is gorgeous! We are so happy we got to share in Lola's bday! Everything was so fun and the food was delicious. Good work! and I really think you should post the video of Lola afraid of her cake on YouTube...and I better be your guest when Ellen wants you on her show for it! :)

Katie said...

Wow! That looks better than any party I have ever had or been too. Nice work mom! Wish we could have made it.