James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, August 2, 2010

Just keep swimming...

I've made it a major life goal to cure my child of her severe swimming pool phobia.

Auntie Alysha, who happens to be a certified swim teacher and lifeguard, came to visit a few weeks ago and insisted she be given the chance to make a fish out of my girl.


At first it was the same old sob story.


But Auntie Alysha is very skilled in the art of distraction, and after a few minutes, the crying ceased and lukewarm tolerance kicked in. 


That is, until the bratty little kids sharing the little pool with us started intentionally splashing water at Lola.  Their uninterested mother barely glanced our way when Lola started to scream.  I think she may have looked up from her fake boobs for about two seconds to mutter an extremely convincing "sorry."

It took every ounce of my will not to splash her.

Moving on.

Today, we returned to the water with our friends, Hollie and Aleksandra.

Lola hadn't napped.  She screamed the entire way to the pool.  I was preparing myself for the battle of the century.

But when I stepped into the water with her, a miraculous thing happened.

She didn't fight.  She didn't cry.  She didn't even whimper.

Instead, she laughed.  She splashed.  She smiled.  She made goofy faces. She only cried when, after two hours in the water, I tried to take her out.


Ladies and gentleman, I think I finally have a fish on my hands.

4 comments:

siovhan said...

look at that little buddah belly! i love her.

Kim said...

Yay! Swimming babies are the cutest!

AJ and Cindy said...

I am glad Lola liked the pool, so sad we missed out (dang pool floaty...) next time for sure we are there! :)

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

HURRAY! IT'S A MIRACLE! I think it also had to do with the safety of the pool floaty. I am so happy for her! We will soon have an olympic swimmer on our hands!