James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer Evenings...

Summer has arrived in Salt Lake City.

I know some people would dispute this claim.  After all, we did have snow last Monday.  But as my little family spent the evening walking around our neighborhood yesterday, I caught a whiff of that old, familiar smell.  The smell that sends my heart all a flutter every single year.

Nope, it's not the smell of the Great Salt Lake.

It's the smell of summer. 

Fresh cut grass.  Charcoal from a nearby barbecue.  Flowers of all shapes and sizes.  Sunscreen.  Warmth.

My absolute favorite time of year.  If it weren't for the hope of Salt Lake summers, Salt Lake winters would drive me far, far away.  Well, they kind of do anyway, but summer does a pretty good job of making me forget how much I hate the months between November and March.

I adore our neighborhood.  We are nestled in the middle of dozens of trees, at the foot of Capitol Hill.  The homes around us are charming, unique and historic.  We often pretend we have a million bucks to spend on one of them, and discuss the ways we would make it our own.

Hidden between the rows of old houses and trees is a little park.  Nothing special, but a treasure to us.  We discovered the little place while on a walk during our first Salt Lake City spring.  I distinctly remember chatting about how fun it would be to bring a child there one day.

"One day" arrived last night. And it did not disappoint.


We headed over to the neighborhood elementary school and came across a map of the counties of Utah.  Lola chilled in her birthplace for a bit before realizing how much she hates sitting on the dirty cement.


We hoped she would forget about the above-mentioned hatred when we tried to snap a 10-month shot on the hopscotch "10."  Turns out, she hadn't forgotten.


My favorite shot of the day came when daddy tried to take her down a slide that was too big for her, but much too small for him.  I nearly dropped the camera I was laughing so hard.


Oh summer, please stick around for awhile.

6 comments:

Kimba said...

it's way better with a kid, too! i've loved going to parks with wy, and seeing his face as he goes down a slide. pure joy! and three cheers for summer! i feel the same about winter, but my hatred is for the jan - march months. :)

Stephanie Kay Moore said...

Our little place is right behind that park down the driveway of it. We can't wait for Mason to be old enough to enjoy... Even though it's very simple! The pictures are just too cute!

Amy said...

Your posts might be the only redeeming quality of salt lake summers. *sigh* it's hot.

AJ and Cindy said...

looks like fun! we have been wondering about that park, too! we'll have to take lyla there sometime!

Fae said...

I really, really miss living in that neighborhood. Look how much fun you're having. I love the new photo of Miss Lola. We must get together soon. Next weekend?

Tami said...

I love the photo with Lola on the bench. So adorable