James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Friday, June 18, 2010

Fire and Woods and Smores, Oh My...


I'm not a camper.  My idea of "roughing it" is a night at a Motel 6.
But I do really, really love smores.

So tonight we headed up Millcreek Canyon with some friends to light a bunch of wood on fire and roast marshmallows and stuff.

We all brought our own "tin foil dinners."  Apparently we have some pretty intense campers in our midst, because our friends all rocked the whole raw-meat-and-veggies-wrapped-in-silver concept.

I've only done tin foil dinners once before, on a really horrible blind date.  My potatoes never cooked all the way through and my meat was still bleeding after spending an hour in the coals.  So before heading away from civilization, I roasted some veggies, boiled a few chicken breasts, wrapped them in tin foil and called it good.

Oh, and I brought along the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, because the stuff is magical.  Really.

Cop out?  Yes.  But we were eating three minutes after we threw those puppies in the fire.  Worked for me.

We talked.  We laughed.  We let the smoke thoroughly saturate our clothing.  We roasted marshmallows and Starbursts like it was our day job.  We ate enough chocolate and graham crackers to make Jillian Michaels drop dead on the spot.

But it was awesome.

Once again, I love summer.

1 comments:

Kimba said...

wait, you roasted the veggies but boiled the chicken?!!?

roasted marshmallows and starbursts...wow. takes me back to high school. such fun!! except for the campfire smell....i swear that smoke always followed me, i had to shower that night, or risk all my sheets reeking of it. :)