James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Martha...

I don't really know how it happened, but somewhere along the road I became an adult.

I swear, these days they let anyone be a grown-up. I mean really, how did the girl who still wears holiday-themed socks, curls up in her mom's bed when she's sick, insists on going to pumpkin patches and giggles at toilet humor become a mother?

Well, I know how. But shouldn't you have to pass some kind of test? Or get some kind of license?

Maybe I cheated the system.

Anyway, part of adult life is learning to do adult things. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and since I started my own little family I've wanted to learn how to create the perfect spread of Thanksgiving dishes in preparation for the day that my mother refuses to let me mooch off of her anymore.

So this year, I tried a little experiment. I pulled out our dishes. I dusted off our tablecloths. I borrowed a card table from my mother-in-law and I pulled the guts out of a turkey.

That's right, I hosted my very own pre-Thanksgiving dinner.



Please note the ghetto nature of the mismatched placemats. And who doesn't love a plastic leafy centerpiece from Wal-Mart?

But the place cards? I MADE them! Seeing as how I am the anticraft, I felt quite smug about it. And since I couldn't find any poppers, I bought Christmas-themed Ring Pop knockoffs to use as party favors...



Reece helped. He really did. He did the thing that the manly men do. He carved the turkey until all that was left was the carcass.




I'm glad he took that job. I've made my feelings about turkey very clear.



I also attempted my favorite dish: Mama's stuffing. It turned out okay, but why is it that nothing EVER tastes as good when you make it yourself?



I also made sure to provide a classy selection of beverages to toast with.



We are lucky to have friends with mad cooking skills who helped make the evening a success.





Lola wasn't sure what to think. I'd be mad too, if all I could eat was milk.



Here's to our first Thanksgiving as a family. And here's to the fact that we are doing our real Thanksgiving dinners at our parents' houses.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm impressed!

Abby said...

What a cute idea. A pre thanksgiving thanksgiving. I love it.

Adam and Tara said...

I love 7up Pomegranate!! It's all I drink! Way to go on the pre- thanksgiving :)

Brianne said...

I love your mismatched placemats. Very cute. And, your mom's stuffing looks really yummy! Jess, your great!