James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Christmas Plotting...

Remember these?





And of course, my favorite...



I LOVED the American Dolls growing up.

In my family, Santa always leaves a series of notes hidden around the house that lead to our "big" present. Sort of a Christmas Day scavenger hunt, if you will. I still remember the Christmas my 8-year-old self discovered the beautiful rectangular box hidden in the downstairs bathroom shower. Inside, I beheld my beloved Samantha doll. I'm not sure that any other Christmas could compete with that.

Reece and I have been discussing what we should get our daughter for her very first Christmas. Considering the fact that we already own all the seasons of 30 Rock and Arrested Development (her two favorite shows), we have been hard pressed for ideas on what to get a 5-month-old.

Today, one of my co-workers brought up her love for the American Dolls, and I proceeded to spend my break time scouring the website, reliving my days spent pining over the catalog and arguing with my sister over who's doll had better clothes.

I was horrified to discover that the people behind the dolls have decided to discontinue the original four. Samantha is already gone, and Kirsten is on the chopping block this year.

So an idea popped into my head.

Why not get Lola started early?

I called Reece to tell him my brilliant idea, and he seemed to be on board until I mentioned how much these COLLECTOR'S PIECES cost.

Let's just say we might have to make some room, because starting this Christmas the American Dolls are moving in.

7 comments:

Kristina said...

WHAT?! They're discontinuing the original four dolls? That's ludicrous!!
We also got the dolls. I have Kirsten, my older sister has Samantha, and my little sister has Felicity. Those dolls are an american classic!

Jessica said...

I can't believe they're discontinuing the originals! So sad! We never got the American Girl dolls growing up, but my sisters and I devoured the catalogs every time they came.

Kristin said...

WHAT!!!!!!! How can they discontinue the classics?! My favorite was Kirsten, and I always wanted her, but never got her. Now I will never be able to complete my unfulfilled childhood wish of having my very own Kirsten :(

Abby said...

I can't believe they are discontinuing them! I have Samantha too, and love her. I also got her for Christmas. I was so terribly careful with her. She is still in her original box in my closet!

I also still have alot of the books. My favorite one was "Samantha Saves The Day" or something like that, where Samantha goes to camp with the girl scouts and plays capture the flag.

Erin Masi said...

I can't believe they're getting rid of the old ones!! So sad!! I also had Samatha and just about died from excitement when I got her! I haven't thought about those dolls/books in years!

Unknown said...

Um, hello, I WAS Molly when I was younger. Read all the books a thousand times, and my mom and dad, I mean "Santa", got me the bedroom set. I have it all packed away and saved for my future girl! (I better get at least one girl, I swear).

Abby said...

Oooh!! MAybe that book was actually "Molly Saves The Day" Yeah. I think that was it.