James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Weekend Update: 40 Down...

Well folks, I am officially 40 weeks pregnant (well, almost).



And still waiting...



I woke up at 6 this morning for no particular reason, probably because Baby Girl was awake too. I looked over to see Reece still sleeping soundly, and the cats dozing at the end of the bed. The apartment felt cool for the first time in days, and I could see the sun beginning to stream into our bedroom.

That's when it struck me -- our lives really are about to change forever. I know that is about the most generic, cliche statement that I could possibly make, but it's true. These quiet moments will soon be few and far between. This could be our last Saturday morning as Reece and Jessica. Next Saturday, we could be Reece, Jessica and Baby.

I've spent so much time and energy willing this baby to just get here. I'm done carrying her, and now I just want to hold her. I finally feel somewhat ready to become a mother, despite my anxieties and feelings of complete cluelessness and inadequacy.

But this morning, I decided to enjoy the freedom, even if just for a moment. Though I long ago reached the ripe old age of 24, I still feel like a little kid in so many ways. I'm hoping I can grow up enough in the next few days to be a good Mama to my kid.

Okay, I really shouldn't write this early in the morning. I get all sentimental and gushy when I'm tired.

On to the regular update.

At 40 weeks, this kid is just putting on weight (we hope). That's her only job now. My little pumpkin (finally, a food I recognize!) is supposed to be about 7.5 pounds and 20 inches long. As of Tuesday, she was just 5 pounds. I ate an extra large twist cone last night to contribute to those fatty baby thighs (but ultimately contributed to the fatty mommy thighs).

We took her to the Planetarium last night for a showing of "The Dark Side of the Moon" laser extravaganza. Either she HATES Pink Floyd, or she is the biggest fan in the universe. She was grooving for the entire hour, with no breaks. At one point, I thought she might just burst through my belly, Alien style.

At 40 weeks, Mama is still swollen, still tired and still waiting to meet the pumpkin. I put our stroller together yesterday, which was a huge accomplishment for me. Usually I pick up anything that requires assembly and give up in tears about minutes later. The nursery is nearly finished. We just have to move a twin bed in and finish the rocker.

As I bid farewell to my coworkers Friday, I was flooded with culinary labor-inducing suggestions. Apparently Hot n Spicy Chicken from a local Chinese place worked for my News Director's wife. A producer friend swears by a special pizza courtesy of Trio. Another producer friend kindly offered me his backyard trampoline (can you imagine the entertainment? "Hey kids, grab a hotdog, pull up a seat and watch the fat girl jump up and down!"). If I get desperate enough, we may be making the restaurant rounds within the next few days.

We've started taking birthday guesstimates. Feel free to chime in. Extra points go to those who choose a date before or around August 4th :)

Though I hate to say it, I'm feeling August 9th.

How about you?

16 comments:

Kimba said...

Man, you look awesome at 40 weeks. That is so not fair!

Kim said...

I'm thinking August 5th. I love your crafts. Isn't Color Me Mine the best? Good luck with your last few days of pregnancy! I hear they're totally worth it :)

Abby said...

You do look marvelous, indeed. Hmmm. If I had to guess....I would say August....13th. Yes. The 13th.

Kirk said...

I just have to let you know that I love your blog! You are an excellent writer and a wonderful mother. Hang in there. I'm gonna say the 8th?

Jordan Ormond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan Ormond said...

I said the first ... obviously I was wrong. So, now I'm going to say the 15th (sorry). I really would like your little girl to come sooner, but if she waited until the 15th she'd share a bday with my Lily. That would be cool, right?

steph said...

I'm loving the owls and piggy bank. And I really enjoy your emotional tangents, however cliche you think they are.

I'm headed out of town and away from a computer for a week so I won't get to see any of your updates for a little while. But nonetheless, I'm voting Aug. 6th. It's a nice even date, 08/06. Good luck and take care!!

ECR said...

September 1, so I can share a birthday with her :)

Amy said...

you'll be a great mom. If your bored and want to look up weird induction things...."accurpressure to induce labor" is a great google search. :)

Stembob said...

I'm going to say... tuesday morning at 4am

Unknown said...

I am hoping for the 8th so I can be there and get to see her! Oh I CANT wait! :)

Unknown said...

Isn't it so funny how one extra week feels like an eternity? Just thinking of myself in your position makes me feel like an extra 5 days would be a long time too!!! It's like waiting for a vacation or something.

Ma and Pa Ellertson said...

Jessica Kelli directed me to your blog and I have enjoyed reading about your pregnancy. It brings back good memories when I was pregnant 100 years ago. All I can say is enjoy the moment (easy for me to say). Kelli's Mom

Brooke Hill said...

You look great Jess! I am going to say Aug 6th, right in the middle

Welcome! said...

Jessica! We both live in the city and never see each other. Even creepier, we seem to do the same things on the same days (like go to the Planetarium or Farmers Market) and never run into eachother! I think we need to hang! What do you think?
Eliana

Fae said...

I am so ready for you to have your baby. You can have her now, I said so.