James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Breathe In, Breathe Out...

Tonight, Reece and I attended our first Lamaze class. Considering my low tolerance for pain (a stubbed tow can put me out of commission for up to a week), I am pretty much counting on begging for the epidural as soon as I set foot in the hospital. But Lamaze class seems as much a part of the pregnancy experience as swollen ankles. Besides, it was either that, or hypno-birthing. Just the title of that one makes me break out into hives.

ANYWAY, my visions of Lamaze class included a bunch of women with bad perms and stirrup pants, clutching pillows and breathing uncomfortably loudly. Clearly, my only reference was the '80s video I watched in 9th grade health class. That being said, I was somewhat hesitant to take the plunge.

But boy, am I glad we did.

Highlights included:

*Reece making loud throw-up noises during the video of an actual birth. Can't say I blamed him.
*Reece making loud throw-up noises at a diagram illustrating a cervix dilated to 10 centimeters. I just cringed, and subconsciously crossed my legs.
*The creepy figure of a baby lodged between a pelvic bone. I bet they picked it up at Toys-R-Us.
*Our instructor raving about enemas. Apparently, they are the new pedicure.
*Massage time. I'm hoping this is a regular part of the course, especially since Reece doesn't have the TV or computer to distract him.

Best two and a half hours of my week, hands down.
Can't wait until next Tuesday...

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Massage time?? That is AWESOME! It's the least you can get for what you're about to do!

Danielle said...

That is so funny that hypno-birthing giving you hives :) I actually had Luci naturally while doing hypno-birthing! When Jacob heard the name of the technique he also got hives :) But it was the coolest experience ever and let me tell you...everyone at the hospital thought i was asleep for most of the time. It was awesome...intense, but not painful. So, I always recommend reading the book, even if you're planning for an epidural b/c it prepares you for birth just in case you can't get the shot for some reason. Anyway, there's my two pence on that

Jessica said...

Ha ha, hypnobirthing does sound crazy, doesn't it? My doctor recommended it, so I decided to give the first class a chance and I've loved it! Not nearly as bizarre as it sounds. It's just breathing techniques, visualization, relaxation, and my fav, light touch massage.

Oh man, that first live birthing video was a shock to both of us! We probably had to watch one in a health class somewhere along the way, but I had most definitely erased that memory!

Jessica and Reece said...

Danielle and Jessica:

Thanks for the insight into hypno-birthing! It mostly freaked me out, because I'm not really sure what it entails. But let's face it, the whole birthing experience kind of freaks me out, because I am the world's biggest wimp. I will definitely do more research on the technique :)

Megan & Matt said...

Jessica, you are so funny. I love reading your blog!