James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Newsroom Love...

Perhaps it's the calming breeze of my newly-repaired air conditioning, or the general pregnancy insanity, but I am feeling particularly sappy about my job tonight.

I've always loved writing. From the time I learned to spell, I could often be found with my box of crayons, dreaming up bedtime stories to entertain (and sometimes terrify) the siblings.

In middle school I sought to advance my compositional skills by concocting note after note after note to my circle of friends. Some of my greatest work was inspired by the "stupidhead" who asked me "out" the day before Valentines Day, presented me with a teddy bear from the dollar store, then never spoke to me again. The pen can truly be used as a sword.

In college, I was the crazy girl who actually got excited to write papers. My routine went as follows: load up the backpack with contraband bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper, head to my secret cubicle on the second floor of dear "Harold" and type until my eyes refused to stay open any longer.

After graduation, I somehow found a way to get paid to write. I still feel like I'm tricking everyone, like any second someone is going to figure out that I don't really belong in the newsroom and order security to drag me and my massive belly out onto the street.

As I contemplate whether or not to go back to work after Baby comes in August, I have to wonder if I'll be able to walk away from it all. Don't get me wrong, there are days when I would rather swim with sharks than stay at the station (ironic, since working in a newsroom can be just as horrifying as swimming with sharks), but for the most part, I come home at the end of the day feeling satisfied and accomplished. Like somehow, in my little way, I am contributing.

Let's face it, I needed to document my current love affair with work, because I'm likely to be tempted to call in sick tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kimba said...

I wonder about working from home? Best of both worlds? Maybe that wouldn't satisfy your urges, but check! My cousin who lives in St. George still wrote articles for the Deseret News for a long time.

I've always wondered what it would be like to love your job like that! (real paying job I mean...Motherhood is a job too!) You're extremely lucky. You'll be successful whatever you decide!

steph said...

Ahh the newsroom. Some days I miss it. Other days ... not so much. A friend of mine left the newsroom to be a mama, but she hooked up a job where she produced an online show. She was able to work and stay at home with her little girl. Might be worth looking into ...

Muncher Cruncher said...

You are an amazing writer. I'm sure they'll be on their hands and knees begging you to come back! Isn't it funny how one day work is the best thing ever, and then the next day you are determined your quitting? gotta love it. :)

Jennifer said...

Aww, I'm sure whatever you decide will work out for the best. I'm interested in seeing how it goes cause I often wonder the same thing... If I'll want to go back to work after my baby is born.. Though I'm not pregnant yet, I still wonder!

Carissa said...

look into freelance writing! I also love writing and I am taking some courses at NYU this fall/winter so I will hopefully be able to start freelancing in the spring!
honestly, as a mom, it is REALLY hard to miss your baby's "firsts" (like I did finishing my undergrad) BUT it is very nice to get out of the house and use full sentences for a few hours every day. ah! the debate...