James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Friday, May 22, 2009

A Look Back...

Tonight, Reece and I attended the wedding reception of two good friends from the high school days. As I slurped down my third of five ice cream sundaes (I'm a sucker for the ice cream sundaes), my thoughts wandered back to my own wedding day.

I remember waking up six different times before my alarm went off.
I remember burning my neck with the curling iron, creating what many thought was a giant hickey. Classy.
I remember eating a piece of Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat toast for breakfast, at my mother's behest.
I remember getting pulled over on the way to the temple, by a police officer who literally walked out into the middle of the road and put his hand up.
I remember telling my mom to hit him and keep going. I couldn't risk being late to my own wedding.
I remember the "walking" cop looking into the back seat at Reece in his tux and me frantically clutching my dress, and wishing us a "Happy Wedding Day" with a stern warning to "slow down."
I remember watching my mom cry.
I remember watching my dad smile.
I remember the exact moment I became a married woman.
I remember forgetting hairspray, and another bride coming to my rescue.
I remember regretting the decision to get married on the hottest day of Summer 2007.
I remember wishing it was acceptable to get married in a bathing suit.
I remember stopping at the gas station to get a Diet Dr. Pepper on our way to the luncheon.
I remember my grandmother standing up at the luncheon to announce that Reece and I were actually distant cousins.
I remember Reece shooting eye-daggers in Grandma's general direction.
I remember eating Caprese Salad.
I remember Reece whining throughout the entire "line" portion of the reception.
I remember loving him even more as he whined.
I remember Tara Behunin catching my bouquet.
I remember wishing I could eat more than just a bite of my cake.
I remember threatening Reece with death if he shoved said cake in my face.
I remember dancing with my dad.
I remember dancing with my husband.
I remember my brother pushing my husband aside, so he could dance with me too.
I remember Reece almost crashing dad's BMW as we made our grand exit.
I remember my parents dropping off our car full of gifts.
I remember my dad sitting down on our couch, and asking for a drink.
I remember Reece's jaw dropping.
I remember mom dragging dad out of our apartment.
I remember being really, really ridiculously exhausted.
I remember being really, really ridiculously happy.

Who knew, just two years later, we'd be having a kid?
Not us, let me assure you.


9 comments:

Brooke Hill said...

So many good memories Jess! I love it! I cant believe you are going to be a mommy! :)

Kimba said...

Ohmigosh, I just died laughing - I love that your dad sat down and asked for a drink! So cute. :)

And you're distant cousins!? And she announced it?!?! That right there is PRICELESS. Wyatt was giving me the funniest looks because I was laughing so hard. I could see Reece's face!

I wish I could have been there!! I'm so glad you married Reece. :) You're going to be an excellent mommy!

Kari McCallon said...

How fun! I never knew any of that.. So that was some good stories about the police officer. You'll be a great mom! Just keep the child away from the Halloween Man. He might steal their candy. :)

steph said...

Awww that's so sweet. What a day you had!!

Marissa Waddell said...

Can I have your dress? It's so pretty. They don't believe in sleeves here in Chicagoland.

Unknown said...

I hve to ask you, when were you guys planning on having children? 3 years, 5 years, etc.?

Jessica and Reece said...

We were thinking we wanted at LEAST three years on our own before taking the leap. But when life throws you a curve ball, you just go with it :) Now we couldn't be more thrilled.

Jennifer said...

Too cute! beautiful memories! I should do a post like this sometime... maybe for our half anniversary! :)

ECR said...

Not even one word :( I give up!