James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Purse Hunt...

I am a woman of many purses. I'm fairly certain that I own (and use, for that matter) at least 20. But having this slight obsession does have its setbacks.

For example, certain staple items tend to get lost/forgotten in the daily/weekly/monthly switchover. A favorite lip gloss disappears in the shuffle. A ten dollar bill, vanished. Or, worst of all, the wallet doesn't make the trip to its new home.

Yesterday I felt inspired to look for a certain checkbook that has been missing since Italy. I rarely write checks, which is probably why I didn't notice it missing before now, but I woke up in the middle of the night (seriously, I did) panicking about some Italian Jessica look-alike draining our savings account. That would explain a lot.

Sadly, my diligent search did not yield said checkbook. But the treasure unearthed was greater than anything I could have hoped for.

I am a sucker for punch cards. And let's face it, pretty much every restaurant/food establishment in the civilized world now has some form of one. If I eat out, you better believe my card is getting punched. If I buy a loaf of Great Harvest Bread... the card goes across the counter before the money leaves my wallet. I am so obsessed with free stuff, in fact, that I have been known to drive back to an establishment if cheated out of a precious stamp.

So it was much to my elation and great wonderment that I discovered an old wallet brimming with nearly complete punch cards. And with the "recreation budget" we've created this month, the discovery couldn't have come at a better time.

Free Cafe Rio.
Free Spoon Me.
Free Subway sandwich.
Free 32 ounce drink at Chevron.

Suddenly rich. Seriously, this is what millionaires must feel like.

I called Reece at work to share the good news (for some reason, he wasn't as over-the-moon as I would have liked him to be), and insisted we meet up for dinner at Costa Vida, on me.

Nothing like splitting a Chipotle Chicken Salad with your sweetheart (though he really should have ordered his own. I mean, it was MY full punch card).

So ladies, go search your old purses. You could strike gold.

0 comments: