James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

12 Hours...

I have a confession.
Long ago, years before I met my husband, I fell in love. Head over heels, madly, wildly and passionately in love.

I was in 4th grade, living in the small town of Bethel, Connecticut (think Stars Hollow on Gillmore Girls), and feeling elated about the pending arrival of Santa Claus. My parents decided to bundle us up, load us into the maroon Chrysler minivan with the wood stripe, and venture into the city named after a giant fruit.

That's when it started. With my face pressed against the window of the van... I entered the wonderland that is New York City for the first time.

I was helplessly captivated by the lights, the giant tree in Rockafeller Square, the decorated windows at Macey's and Bloomingdales, the massive grandeur of the Empire State building, the streets and sidewalks bustling with shoppers, the wonderland of FAO Shwartz, the horse-drawn carriages in Central Park.

My love affair with the big city only grew stronger as I spent two of my college summers going to shows, reading in the park, scouring through bookshops and boutiques, wandering around the street markets, eating my way through dozens of unique restaurants, and wasting entire days at the fascinating museums. My adventurous walks took me downtown, uptown, to the east side, the west side... through the Village and SoHo... across the Brooklyn Bridge and into the fabulously unique neighborhoods of Brooklyn... and pretty much everywhere in between.

I have managed to make it to New York almost once a year for the past 9 years, and this year is no exception.

Reece and I have a 12 hour layover in the city on our long journey to Rome in December.

But that begs the question... how do you possibly choose where to go and what to see in New York... when you have only 12 measly hours? It's like walking into Sees Chocolates with just enough money for one indulgence.

I need help. So speak up. What would YOU do?

6 comments:

ECR said...

DUH....See Uncle Rob!

Abby said...

Go see a play! Or go to the Met!

Mark Weinberg said...

I can think of some amazing places to eat...What time of day is your layover?

Kristin said...

12 hours?! That is both a lot of time, and a short amount of time...

I love Strands (used bookstore). I would head there, then over to Max Brenner for some amazing meal that somehow has chocolate in it, then to a play! I am so excited for you!

Kimba said...

Uh, die, because I wanted more time. I think we should plan a trip there sometime! I've never been. I'd need days!

Mrs. Gibbons said...

I don't know, but I need your advice on where to stay and what I should see when I'm there for like 3 days. Oh, I've heard at that Serendipity Ice Cream place that they have a sundae with edible gold in it. But you would have to drop 1,000 big ones right then and there.