My love affair with this beautiful institution began way back in the first grade, when mom would pile us into the Chrysler minivan (maroon with the wood stripe...you know the one) and fill our tiny bellies with hot dogs twice our size. If we were REALLY good, we got to order our very own (because honestly, what kid actually likes to split stuff with their siblings?), along with a Sprite to wash down the three whole bites that we could actually manage before getting sick (but who cares if you throw the majority away...you can't beat a meal for less than $2!).
Reece and I got several generous Costco giftcards for our wedding, and you can bet that we used them in about a month.
For both sets of parents, Saturday just isn't Saturday without a trip to Costco. Interestingly enough, we discovered that both of our parents like to make a date out of this trip...splitting a slice of pizza and making googly-eyes over a Very Berry Sunday.
Reece and I like to follow in the footsteps of our very wise (and very frugal) parents.
And now, ladies and gentleman...
Jessica Ivins' Ten Costco Truths:
01. Don't expect to get out those doors without spending at LEAST $50. Trust me, it's impossible. We have tried.
02. When your wallet is empty, go for the samples. Our plan was to grab lunch this afternoon, but after lurking around each sample booth (sometimes hitting up particular stations more than once), we found ourselves delightfully satisfied and wanting nothing.
03. The sample booth operators don't look up when you grab the sample...believe me, if you give it a few minutes and go back, they will just launch into the product description all over again. Asking questions will buy you some time to grab a few extras.
04. The second you walk through the big gate, you will immediately discover 3 things that you "need," no matter how many times you have told yourself not to stray from the list. ("We can totally finish 8 avocados before they go bad" "I should really invest in this grill set, even though we don't have a grill" "100 pound bag of raw almonds! I hear these are great for my heart and my figure!")
05. Little old ladies WILL run you down if it means they can beat you to the shortest line.
06. If you are looking for something in particular, you WILL find it at Costco.
07. The $50 membership fee is totally worth it (especially if you can get your husband's company to cover the cost).
08. There is no such thing as a "quick trip to Costco." You WILL be lured in by the treasures that await you on every aisle.
09. The Diet Coke on tap just tastes better than anywhere else.
10. You can get lost. Believe me. Bring your cell phone.
Can't wait until next Saturday. Until then, I will dream of long lines, massive slices of pizza and everything bulk.