James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The First Step...

Look what I bought today:



Scary. But I think I have finally made a decision about my future. I wanna go to law school. There. I've announced it. I can't change my mind, not after declaring my intentions on my blog!

Let me explain myself. Today I had an interview at a legal office (which will remain nameless) in Salt Lake City for a legal secretary position. As I have mentioned in past posts, I am currently throwing my resume at anyone willing to take it, desperately hoping that someone might want to take me too. I arrived at the office looking sharp, ready for anything. I have been practicing my speed typing for the past 3 days, and my fingers are in the best shape of their lives (we are talking RIPPED). Yesterday I typed 107 wpm (although it may have been a fluke...I was working on my fourth can of DDP. Apparently caffeine is good for typing). I was totally ready to rock the legal world.

NOTHING could have prepared me for what would follow.

I waited for about 15 minutes, enduring endless stares from the tattooed receptionists. FINALLY a woman came out, greeted me quickly and pulled me into a conference room. Before I could even introduce myself, I was bombarded with the following questions (and NO, I am not making this up.):

1. "Why the (blank) do YOU want to work as a secretary?"
2. "We have a problem with college graduates here. Superiority complexes seem to abound. Why did you even bother applying?"
3. "I have found that people with bachelors degrees always want more. This job will just be a pit stop for your superior life, won't it?"
4. "Seriously, I think you are just wasting your time and ours, since I assume you would quit if something better came along. Am I right?"

Wait a second, YOU called ME, right? YOU set up this interview, apparently so you could rip me apart.

I was totally stunned. Apparently having a Bachelor's Degree is a real setback for us job seekers. Call me crazy, but I pushed myself through five years of college thinking just the opposite.

So I am going to go to law school so that I can be the boss of horrible women with their OWN superiority complexes.

Ha.

6 comments:

Candace said...

Way to go Jess! You'll be awesome. Plus I'm all about school. Heck, you hate it while you're there but then you miss when you're gone. Good luck. And I'm sorry I dropped the ball last weekend. I was busy with. . . oh wait nothing! Let's do it soon. I need your digits.

CHUNTZ said...

Yike, good luck girlfriend!

The Wrights said...

Wow! Thats awesome.. good for you! My brother in Law in at Gonzaga now.. and he loves it! Best Wishes!

Mal Mecham said...

Look at you Jess! You'll be amazing! I'm so excited for you!!

Kate said...

Wow. Good luck! If you need some advice, give us a call. Chris is a law school grad/bar passed-er. :) We know all about law school. (I say WE, because if you go to law school, your spouse suffers, too. ;) Is Reece ready for it?)

Kimba said...

I can't even imagine someone saying that to me! I would have been totaly behind you if you'd slapped her. I'm just saying. And congrats on the decision!