James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Portraits of Insanity: The 2013 Edition...

I'm determined to keep up our tradition of having family pictures taken every year.
Despite the fact that I'm likely the only person in my family that actually (semi) enjoys the experience (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, REECE IVINS), I'm always so happy to have them when all is said and done.

This being our first year as Seattleites, I wanted to include our new city in our shoot.
And what better place to capture the essence of a city famous for its fishy smell than Pike Market?

If you've ever been to Pike Market on a Saturday, you'd probably call the loony bin and reserve a room for me.
Crowds. Crowds. And did I mention more crowds?

But once I set my crazy mind to something, I have to follow through.
Even if it kills me.

And you know what?
It wasn't so bad after all - especially once we got some Ellenos Greek Yogurt in our bellies.


I can't look at this photo without cracking up.
It's just so US.
Lola pulling us in one direction.
James fighting like mad to escape (usually into oncoming traffic).
Reece laughing at it all and me just trying to get everyone out of the road.

Have you heard of the Seattle gum wall?
No?
Let me explain it to you:  
it's a wall in Seattle that is covered with gum.

It's really, really, really gross - but also kind of cool (in a disgusting and vile way).
I told the kids they could pick a place in the market to take a photo, and of course this is the place they unanimously and enthusiastically selected.


We have a cardinal rule when it comes to the gum wall: James must be held at all times.
Because I kid you not, he would pick every piece of chewed up gum off that thing and rechew it to his heart's delight if left unattended.


My brown-eyed troublemaker keeps me scrambling.
But just LOOK at those brown eyes!

Trouble, I tell you.


We moved throughout the market, bribing like government officials.
My bag was 1% wallet, 99% candy.


 My babies put on a good show.
Maternal bias may play a small role, but goodness gracious, I think they're beautiful little people.


 Thus concludes another year of chaos.
But I must say, I'm quite smitten with my kooky little family and the beautiful city we call home.

8 comments:

aubrie said...

I'm sorry, but when did James grow up? He looks like such a big kid (and oh so handsome, as always). And did I spy 2 missing teeth on Miss Lola? Good gracious they are big now! Beautiful pictures!

Alysha and Jason said...

I LOVE THEM! All of them! Such beautiful people. I also love the creepy balloon guy in the background. Jamesie's eyes are to-die-for. Oh, I love those little people!

AJ and Cindy said...

I'm so glad you posted these, I wanted to see more!
Love them all, makes me miss you guys even more! Love you!

The Grady's said...

Love the pics!!!! They turned out great and i love that you are embracing your new city!

Jodi Escalante said...

I LOVE your shoes!! Who makes them?

Camille Wheatley said...

My favorite Seattle family, gorgeous as ever!

Jennifer said...

I could stare at your adorable family ALL DAY!

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . .