James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Seattle Central Library...

I've been wanting to check out the downtown library ever since we arrived in Seattle, and a rainy day last week provided the perfect opportunity to do so.

It's about a two-mile walk from our apartment, but since I've taken it upon myself to taste a cupcake from every bakery in this city, I decided it wouldn't be wise to shy away from the exercise.


Let's start with the children's section, shall we?

This place is amazing.
The rows and rows and rows of books are only the beginning.


 My kids were particularly fond of the little play area, which is stocked to the brim with toys and puzzles of all kinds.
While they were busy with those treasures, I spent my time drooling over the architecture.


 Definitely storing this one in our magical bag o' rainy-day activities.


 Shockingly enough, it rained the next day too.
So we came back -- this time to explore the upper levels.

The tenth floor atrium serves up fantastic views of the lower levels, along with a unique peek at the city below.


 Our friends had warned us about Red Hall -- the middle floor of the library that is painted completely red.  Walls, ceilings, floors -- everything.
I felt queasy the moment we stepped off the elevator.
Panicked, even.


I felt like I was walking through an artery or something.
Yikes.

This library is all about color, and loud ones at that.
Lola (who is currently obsessed with taking pictures) snapped the following picture of the bright green elevator...

 

And to help my children recover from the certain psychological damage they suffered as a result of the red room, we ducked in for a few more moments of play in their favorite place.

1 comments:

aubrie said...

You are killing me with these Seattle posts! It's been three years since I've been to Seattle and you are making me desperately want to go there again ASAP. I love how even the library is a work of art. And don't even get me started on your apartment--it's beautiful! It sounds like you guys are having an amazing adventure this summer. Can't wait to hear (and see more) about it!