James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Commence to start...

Love that line from Father of the Bride Part Two, a true classic.

Well, my husband is officially a graduate student.
Orientation began this week, classes start Monday and, from what I'm told, I will kiss him goodbye and give up all hopes of spending any time with him for the next two years.

I have so many feelings about Reece starting school, it's hard to sort through them all.

Jealousy, because I'm a nerd and I adore school and classes and number two pencils and reading assignments and new backpacks and rushing around campus trying to figure out each semester's schedule.

Excitement for what he will learn, the opportunities that will come, the way he will grow and be challenged.

Anxiety over not having a steady income for the first time in four years, student loans, taking care of our children on my own and figuring out where I fit into Reece's new life.

Faith that things will work out, that the payoff will far outdo the sacrifice and that I will be given the strength to support my husband every step of the way, even if it means temporarily donating him to the Marriott School.

Pride for his accomplishments, his dedication and his determination to succeed.

Gratitude for a husband who is dedicated to securing a comfortable and adventurous life for Lola, James and I, and for a Heavenly Father who I know will guide me through the loneliness, feelings of inadequacy and multiple emotional breakdowns that are sure to come.

All that being said, I couldn't be more thrilled to open this new chapter of our life together and hope I can be strong enough to enjoy every bump and dip of what is sure to be one very crazy ride.

3 comments:

todd and erin said...

Good luck to you and Reece! I am in a similar situation. Todd starts law school tomorrow. It's definitely an exciting but very nerve wracking time! I know you both will do great! It's only 2 years! Right???

Megan said...

Good luck! It won't be as bad as you think it will be. My husband's put me through 4 years of med school and we have another 4 years of residency to come. Of course, we don't have kids, but it's hard not to see him nevertheless. You'll adjust, and you'll surprise yourself with just how strong you actually are. At least he doesn't have to take overnight call, work 6 out of 7 days a week, or do 16 hour shifts. :)

Angie said...

THis is so exciting! Good luck to you both. I think you're awesome for being such a positive, supportive wife.