James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, May 2, 2011

History in the making...

I, Jessica Maria Ivins, am a breaking news junkie.

It's difficult to describe the intensity that envelopes the newsroom when a monumental story begins to develop.

It begins with that first tip.
That tip quickly evolves into the low but steady buzz of speculation.
Then comes the rush of detail after detail -- some accurate, others not so much.
The waves of information crash relentlessly into your brain until you find yourself completely consumed by the adrenaline, fear, stress, frustration and thrill of the race.

Last night included all that, times a thousand.


I didn't leave the newsroom until well after 1 a.m.
I crawled into bed around 2 a.m. after a long (and often hazy) drive home.
Every ounce of energy was completely drained from my mind, body and soul.

But I will forever be grateful that I happened to be the ksl.com producer on the night of May 1, 2011 (though at the time I was cursing anything and everything within a mile radius of my desk).
It was a crazy, stressful, invigorating, rewarding, pull-your-own-hair-out kind of night I will never, ever forget.

That, my friends, is why I love journalism.

2 comments:

todd and erin said...

Amen, sister. I am a news junkie too. I can't imagine how exciting it would be to actually be in the news room. I bet you will never forget that night.

Jenna said...

Ah, it was amazing. I would have loved to be back in the newsroom on a day like that.