James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Resolved...

I had a bit of an epiphany last week, after a much needed trip to the beautiful structure that sits a mere 10-minute walk from my home.

Though I've always known that peace, reassurance, comfort and answers can be found inside its walls, I didn't realize how much I needed to be immersed in that quiet serenity that is my sacred place.

I find myself getting discouraged often, as I assume many people do.

Am I a good enough mother?
Am I a good enough wife?
Am I a good enough daughter/sister/granddaughter/niece/friend?
Am I good enough in my career?

Those two little words -- good enough -- haunt me more than I'd like to admit.

More often than not, the answer to those questions, in my mind at least, is a resounding no.
I'm too selfish.
I'm too impatient.
I'm too lazy.
I'm too catty.
I'm too quick to anger.
I'm not quick enough to forgive.

I was hoping to find encouragement, or more specifically, solid guidance on how to do away with all those negatives and just learn how to be "good enough."

And though I received encouragement, it came in a form I wasn't expecting.

Here it is:

Instead of always trying to live up to the impossible standards we set, why can't we just give ourselves credit for the things we are doing right?  For the things at which we excel, because each and every one of us is a master of something?  Instead of comparing ourselves to our friends, family members and even strangers in a way that makes us feel inadequate, can't we applaud their gifts while at the same time be proud of our own?

So even though the time for New Year's resolutions may be long gone, I am adopting a sort of theme for myself instead:

Give credit where credit is due

Let's try to love ourselves a little more.
Celebrate the things that make us unique.
Use those attributes to make a positive contribution to those around us.

And for the love of all, cut ourselves some freakin' slack! 
Because ladies (and guys too), heaven knows we deserve it.

5 comments:

Alysha and Jason said...

Thank you. This is was much needed.

Jo said...

This made me tear up. Yes I also tear up when watching Keeping up with the Kardashains...but you are such a great writer and I too needed that!

De Rosa said...

Jess your an amazing person, don't forget that! And this goal is amazing you will do great at it. Keep your head up, you have a lot on your plate.

Esplins said...

Loved this post! So glad to hear this from someone other than my hubby. I think us girls are too hard on ourselves way to often but it's a tricky rut to stay out of. Good luck! You're amazing.

Amy said...

Funny, I had this exact conversation with a therapist today! Do I sense a new career for you? :)