James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, April 12, 2010

8 Months...

Today we celebrate 8 months of Lola girl.

That's 35 weeks.  Or 244 days.  Or 5856 hours.  Or 351,360 minutes.  Or 21,081,600 seconds... and counting.

Whoa, that's a lot of seconds.

A few thousand seconds before that, I looked a little something like this:


Reece looked a little something like this:




And then 9:10 a.m.on the morning of August 12, 2009 arrived.  The pregnancy clock stopped, time flew back to zero seconds, and we met her:




And now here I sit, approximately 21,081,600 seconds later, knowing there have never been 21,081,600 more meaningful seconds in my entire existence.  And that's counting the two years I worked at Great Harvest and ate all the hot, free bread I wanted.

It's no secret why the last 21,081,600 seconds have rocked my world.


At 8 months, our Lola girl has discovered her personality... with a bang.  There's no denying she's a drama queen.  The title "diva" has been thrown casually around the apartment more than once.  But that's just when her parents are around.  She's hilarious, smart, sweet, perceptive, flirtatious and fun.

At 8 months, our Lola girl can put food in her own mouth.  So much for portion control.

At 8 months, our Lola girl recognizes and reaches for "her people."  Some days (or seconds) she's a Mama's girl.  Other days (or seconds) she's all Daddy's.  But she is always, always in love with her grandmas.

At 8 months, our Lola girl rolls on command, scoots when she feels like it and has even gone up on her knees several times, only to collapse with utter disinterest.  Though she tolerates tummy time, she thinks it's about sleeping, not crawling.

At 8 months, our Lola girl opens and closes her fist to bid farewell.

At 8 months, our Lola girl insists on sitting up in her carseat until her little neck gives out from the strain.

At 8 months, our Lola girl sings at the top of her lungs whenever she hears music.

At 8 months, our Lola girl likes to stand up, as long as she knows she has securely latched her fingernails into Mama or Daddy for safety.

At 8 months, our Lola girl thinks she's hilarious.  No one can crack her up better than herself.

At 8 months, our Lola girl is a chatterbox.  Mama, Dada, Baba, Nana, No No No, Babbo, Papa, Bye Bye... all included in her repertoire.  Impressed?  I am.  It makes up for the fact she's still not crawling.  I like to think she's an intellectual, not an athlete.

At 8 months, Lola has discovered a love for objects not designed nor recommended for children.  Pearl necklaces, TV remotes, knives, pens, paper, plastic bags -- all potentially lethal to an infant, all fascinating to Lola.  I think I can see a few gray hairs on my head already.

At 8 months, Lola has found her inner flexibility.  For awhile there, Reece and I were certain she had inherited our lack of stretch.  But now she can suck on her own toes just fine.  Thank heavens for that.  Cirque du Soleil, here we come.

Cue the cheesy ramblings.

My baby is the most fascinating person I have ever met.  She is so sweet, so hilarious, so innocent, so perfect -- I am completely awestruck when I consider the fact she's mine.  I adore her, and I selfishly adore the fact that she adores me.  I just hope she keeps adoring me forever, though I'm nearly certain that adoration turns to annoyance around age 13.

Happy 8 months to my Lo bird, my girlfriend, my little bites, my bubba, my binks, my monkey, my darlin'.

You sure have your parents whooped.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Jess, you have to stop posting such cute baby pictures! Because I have to remind myself every single time I look at Lola that I am done having kids. Plus, it makes me sad that an eight-month-old has a WAY better wardrobe than I do! ;) Just kidding. She is such a cutie pie. Bring her to Lindsay's wedding so I can meet her!

Amy said...

She's beautiful, you're beautiful, 8 months of beauty. :D Happy day.

Also intellectual instead of athlete isn't all bad. Just sayin'.

AJ and Cindy said...

i love that pic of you in the hospital bed! it is so cool how well we know our little ones and how much there is to know about them. can't believe it's been 8 months, that is almost an entire pregnancy!

Jessica said...

Happy 8 months Lola! So I was holding Ellie on my lap while doing my blog reading, and when she saw Lola's picture she started laughing and bouncing up and down and pointing at her picture. I think we should have a play date sometime!

Kimba said...

love that dress!

it is my theory that girls develop the talking etc. way quicker than boys, and boys work on the physical stuff before girls. of course there are exceptions, but for the most part i've found this to be true. no worries! i'd say enjoy the non-mobility, but as always, the grass is always greener. :) she's such a doll.

Brooke Peterson said...

That is just about the cutest baby girl on the planet. Lola girl has a lot of personality in every photo. xo Aunt Brooke