James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Monday, March 1, 2010

Baby's First Road Trip...

For most new parents, the phrase "road trip" is not one that is often thrown around in the first few months of the child's life. Though both avid travelers, Reece and I decided to take our time in introducing that particular hobby to our daughter.

To put it simply, I had absolutely no idea how Lola would handle a long car trip, and absolutely no desire to find out.

However, I couldn't handle one more day of this dreary winter cold, so it was either jump in the car and head south or hide under my bed until the sun came out to stay.

The space underneath my bed is currently occupied by loads of crap, so the road trip option won out.

So we loaded up our bags (which have doubled, by the way -- babies require a LOT of stuff), put on our comfy clothes and hit the road. Daddy took the wheel, while Mama sat in the back so Lola wouldn't get lonely. We rather enjoyed having a chauffeur, though I hate giving up control of the iPod playlists.



In true Ivins fashion, we made the essential stop at the Cedar City Wendy's for a fancy dinner. Lola thoroughly enjoyed her sip of Diet Coke and kept going in for more when she thought I wasn't looking. The kid was drunk with joy.



We all survived the 4 hour drive to St. George relatively unscathed. Aside from a mean diaper rash and a small headache from a minor screaming fit, Lola handled the experience like a champ.

This trip was definitely a learning experience. Our first lesson came that first night, when we tried to put Lola down in her pack n' play. Apparently it's either crib or nothing for our girl. Needless to say, we did not sleep much. It's a good thing she's so easy to snuggle.

Our first day was filled with shopping. Upon hearing of our plans, Reece opted to find the nearest tennis court and disappeared for several hours. Lola, however, made for an excellent shopping partner, as she always does. I did learn lesson number two on our little excursion though: shopping through nap time is not the best idea.



The next day we were hit with another streak of insanity, loaded the car up once again and headed to Las Vegas. Because it's about time our kid learned how to gamble.

We're always looking for ways to generate extra income.



While in the city of sin, Lola met Pegasus.



She saw the Trevi Fountain.




She marveled at the Eiffel Tower.



And yes, she hit the slots. And loved it.



The highlight of the night was our visit to the new City Center development, where Lola fell in love with the whirlpool cylinders.




I fell in love with the multicolored staircase. Would it be strange to have one in my home someday? I sure hope not.



We had so much fun, we lost track of time and ended up walking back to the car fairly late. It was then we learned another valuable lesson: the family-friendly Vegas goes away after 10:30.

My daughter was inadvertently introduced to the Pussycat Dolls as we rushed through Caesars Palace to the parking lot. I'm surprised I didn't get my Mom Card taken away on the spot.

Oh well. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas right? That is, unless you announce your gross mistakes on your blog.

We ended our quick trip with a lovely day at the park.






The ride back to Salt Lake City was kind of a nightmare. I certainly didn't want to leave the sun, and Lola voiced her displeasure as well. The. Entire. Way. We are obviously reaching the stage where she wants to do more of the moving than the sitting. Personally, I don't blame her.

Reece and I have done the St. George/Vegas thing several times before. The car trips may have been easier and we may have gotten more sleep, but as with many things, the whole experience was better with our little girl in tow.

4 comments:

steph said...

If there's a next time, I SOOOOO want to see you guys! You're welcome to stay at our place anytime! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm glad you hit up the fun spots!

Unknown said...

I love it. I also love, love, love the pictures of her at the park in that blue thing, she looks way comfortable! haha :)

De Rosa said...

Looks like you guys had a blast, so jealous!

Jessica and Reece said...

Steph, I totally thought of you the whole time I was there! I wish I had your phone number! Next time we will definitely stop by to meet your little man.