James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

James + Reece + Lola + Jessica

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Solids...

My child has always had the appetite of an Olympic athlete, which means her 24-hour-buffet (me) rarely gets a break.

I mean, I love nursing and all, but I would like to be able to keep my shirt down for more than an hour at a time.

Anyway, I've been anticipating the four month mark for one reason, and one reason alone:



I've been sneaking her tastes of ketchup, jam, ice cream, even Sour Patch Kids (which she sucked completely dry). I decided that if I want to keep my baby, I better start sticking to the guidelines outlined in What to Expect in the First Year.

Thus, the disgusting rice cereal.

I even bought some snazzy spoons to go with it.

As you can see in the above photo, I misread the instructions on the box and mixed one tablespoon of water with 4 tablespoons of the nasty rice powder. Needless to say, it didn't look quite right. My mother found my mishap hilarious, and I sheepishly added more water to make enough rice cereal for our entire extended family. Anyone hungry?

Before feeding the goo to my child, I decided it was only fair I try it too.



(Please forgive the post-workout glow)

It was, in short, disgusting. It tasted like formula smells, which in my opinion is just plain nasty.

Lola, however, had a different take.




The kid really will take food in whatever form it comes. She probably would have gobbled the entire bowl if Dad hadn't intervened (Jessica! What if it clogs her up!).

One of the best things about this whole "having a kid" thing is the "trying new things for the first time" thing.

It's hilarious to observe, I'll tell you that much.

2 comments:

Amy said...

formula is nasty - i may have to skip rice cereal in the name of my child's taste buds. :)

Amy said...

PS congrats on keeping your shirt down.